San Diego

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
San Diego

Post by VanSimms » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:14 pm

I think I'll be heading down to San Diego for a few days on my spring break to visit some friends, so I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to kite down there.
I heard it is a pretty light wind spot exept for storms, but I was wondering if any of you have had good/bad experiences down there. Also has anyone ridden in the bay? I'm thinking I'll either get some time in the bay or stinkies, its just hard to chose if there is a windy day at both spots and you don't know the location.
Thanks
-Evan

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 am

kiting in the (coronado) bay is pretty sketchy due to high boat traffic and no decent launches. There's silver strand, but that's on the ocean side. I've been to stinkies and it looks like a good spot, but wasn't windy enough to kite the day i checked it out. The good thing about stinkies is that no mattter what direction the wind blows, you'll be able to find side-on conditions somewhere on fiesta island.

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks for the insight, kitebeaches.com is nice but it doesn't tell you which spots are better than others.
-Evan
If in doubt, do it.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:25 pm

I also go donw next week and need some advice. Yes, kitebeaches is not well covered down there. I will let you know if I figure out more. Dont they have a lokal forum as we have it here now...? (THNX to Olli!!!!)

G

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:26 pm

I think the Ikite sensors down there pretty much cover the main launches: Tourmaline and Silver Strand are on the ocean, and Mission Bay and Coronado are bayside (different bays).

My brother lives there and says that the only time he sees anyone kiting the bays is on storms -- and they're not having very many of those this year. He was thinking about learning to kite, but after seeing how little wind there is he decided to stick with surfing.
Paul

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:13 pm

paul
he should take up paragilding,
or i guess he could jump off of torrie pines with a kite.....?
(as per the mag)
charlie

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:53 pm

From the looks of the IK sensor it lookes like its kiteable 3 out of 5 days right now in mission bay, so hopefully I'll get luck when I get down there.
-Evan
If in doubt, do it.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Charlie,
He lives closer to Mission Beach than you live to Crowne. Two blocks walk to the beach with a surfboard. In the summer you don't even need a wetsuit. How much better can you get than that?
Paul

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:51 pm

Van simms,
Dude, you've been kiting Alameda too long if you think Mission Bay is kiteable 3 out of 5 days right now. Av. 10 with gusts to 15?

I'd give the waves at Tourmaline a try -- big sandy beach with no one on it, no rip tides, waves not too big, and wind averaging 15 or better almost every day this month, at least if the Ikite charts don't lie.
Paul

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:59 pm

You could be right about that one. I'll give Tourmaline a try if Mission Bay isn't on.
If in doubt, do it.