Alameda body dragging course race self rescue challenge!?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor
Alameda body dragging course race self rescue challenge!?

Post by Stefano Moris » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 pm

Perhaps a way to get everyone in the spirit of the new procedure and promote the fundamentals of kitesurfing.

Five bucks to enter, winner take all.

This would be a timed course race, (racers depart every few minutes) from when your feet enter the water with kite in air, to when your feet leave the water with kite in hand. Every rider must take a board (but can't ride it)

Begin by body dragging out and rounding the leward side of the 200 ft. marker (giving the marker at least 30 ft. clearance). Continue body dragging upwind and round the windward side of the old radar tower bouys to port (same 30ft. clearance. Come back towards the beach. Drop your kite in the water, self rescues, come out of the water with kite in hand.

Racers are staggered and timed for safety, lots of distance between each racer. Of course unsafe action like dropping the kite to close to the beach or others, or not following standard sailing rules, would result in disqualification etc...

Am I insane. -stef

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:06 pm

Yes, you're kind of insane. But I'd do it. Don't even need a heck of alot of wind either. Think of your money going into my pocket as a donation.

Ollie

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:36 pm

I'm game!

Instead of the money going into my pocket... (sorry Ollie but that is just the way it is).. We can use the proceeds to improve safety or awareness at the beach.

The money can go to fund a float off the beach @ 200 feet or to buy kite steward shirts, or replace LMG's diagram in the bulletin cabinet, or make signs that are kite safe, or better define the upper launch when the bush moves, or burgers and beverage for all after, or some other community usage.

If that is not the consensus no worries, I will donate my winnings to the Alameda Kite Community anyway.

Be careful where you place your bets Ollie I KNOW that Stefano can body drag right like an animal!

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:04 pm

How about Thursday night racing body dragging? Thats my only chance to win. :)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:15 am

Ok, I think Bob has a good idea. All proceeds should go into the fund rather than one individuals pocket (me).

We're talking body dragging with the board, right? You just can't ride it is all.

Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefano Moris » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:46 am

You boys will be self rescuing your ego when I drop my new "praying mantis meets dolphin on crack style" I agree with the winnings funding the bouy/windsock/whatever. Yup, must take a board but not ride it. -stef

Greg
Old School
Old School

count me in!!!

Post by Greg » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:51 pm

Stef,
Dude your GREAT!!! I think that would be a gas!!
I'll put up $100.
This old f*** is going to smoke your a$$,
L.M.G.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:17 pm

Haha, sounds like we got a contest in the works!!! I'll try not to let all this boasting shatter my confidence!

Stef, nice illustration, did you do it?

Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefano Moris » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:34 pm

Yup, perhaps I can turn it into the official event poster or something (bored last night while waiting for software to install and I love talking trash!!!) No duck taping skim boards to your bellies either!!!!-stef

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:44 pm

I'm going to win. I'm going to decide the wind is too flukey, drop my bar, wind my lines, take the kite from the launcher!