Foiling at Sherman?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Foiling at Sherman?

Post by dwaynej » Wed May 20, 2015 10:08 am

Is Sherman deep enough to foil... Any gotchas/locations to avoid? Thanks!

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Re: Foiling at Sherman?

Post by Sonny » Wed May 20, 2015 10:51 am

Yes, it is deep enough, stay away from lake and near the island. Also watch out for the weeds.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

1/2inMexico
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 1/2inMexico » Wed May 20, 2015 2:32 pm

And there are other Foiling Sherman benefits :)

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Wed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Looks like I need to purchase a fishing license!

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Wed May 20, 2015 7:21 pm

1/2inMexico wrote:And there are other Foiling Sherman benefits :)

Yep..world record largest foil caught salmon was speared near Marker 7 at Sherman
:)
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Thu May 21, 2015 9:11 am

Loscocco wrote:
1/2inMexico wrote:And there are other Foiling Sherman benefits :)

Yep..world record largest foil caught salmon was speared near Marker 7 at Sherman
:)
Of course it's not offically recognized as a world record since he didn't have a license and he was poaching. :-)
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am

Getting out of the launch can be tricky at low tide. If you walk out from the launch be aware that the little point to your left (as you're facing your kite) gets shallower than where you're standing. Either drag out towards the channel, or make sure you can foil straight away. The water hides how shallow it can be near the islands so be careful there too. There's also a rock upwind of the launch by the first Island, it has a bouy on it again at the moment. Sometimes you'll hit clumps of weed, it's best to check that it's come off before you start foiling again because you'll think you broke something if you don't |}{+ Fishing with a foil may or may not require a license, best to get one just in case you best Erin's fish and want to claim the record.

cghorizon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cghorizon » Mon May 25, 2015 1:13 pm

It should be noted that the buoy upwind of the launch doesn't just mark a single submerged rock. I was a couple hundred feet upwind of this buoy last week on a moderately low tide and I hit something.

Dragging back to get my foil, I could feel it with my foot. I thought it was just a single rock that I managed to find by riding in the wrong place on a low tide, until two separate foilers back at the launch said the buoy marks an old levee wall that extends both upwind and downwind of the buoy. One of them said another foiler hit the same submerged wall a couple weeks back and ripped his whole front wing off.

My foil (Sroka) has fiberglass wings and the nose of the front wing is a very hard plastic of some kind. My gear survived the collision this time with a bit of epoxy and some sandpaper, but a carbon setup probably would not have fared as well.It should be noted that the buoy upwind of the launch doesn't just mark a single submerged rock. I was a couple hundred feet upwind of this buoy last week on a moderately low tide and I hit something.

Dragging back to get my foil, I could feel it with my foot. I thought it was just a single rock that I managed to find by riding in the wrong place on a low tide, until two separate foilers back at the launch said the buoy marks an old levee wall that extends both upwind and downwind of the buoy. One of them said another foiler hit the same submerged wall a couple weeks back and ripped his whole front wing off.
Last edited by cghorizon on Tue May 26, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Mon May 25, 2015 8:31 pm

cghorizon wrote:It should be noted that the buoy upwind of the launch doesn't just mark a single submerged rock. I was a couple hundred feet upwind of this buoy last week on a moderately low tide and I hit something.

My foil (Sroka) has fiberglass wings and the nose of the front wing is a very hard plastic of some kind. My gear survived the collision this time with a bit of epoxy and some sandpaper, but a carbon setup probably would not have fared as well.
I'm pretty sure my carbon foil is way stronger than the Sroka platic foil.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon May 25, 2015 10:23 pm

I stick to the shipping channel when foiling at sherman or the few other areas i know for sure are deep enough. avoid the area where the old levee wall used to come out.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com