Golf course parking at 3rdAve

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
spork
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spork » Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 pm

I got a call from the manager of the golf course today. He reminded me that they're happy to let us park in that lot, but ONLY along the fence that's adjacent to the bike path. There have been a lot of kiters parking all over the lot and making it difficult for golfers to park. These folks really want to be friendly toward us, but they will have little choice but to tow cars if we don't police ourselves (i.e. park only along the fence).

Also, please be VERY careful not to leave any trash behind.

Please spread the word if you would.

Thanks.

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Golf course parking at 3rdAve

Post by kitewing » Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for posting. Agreed that parking in the golf course lot really is a privilege that we should not abuse. I've never had a single issue from any of their staff there, and the golfers don't seem to mind since they typically try to park closer to their entrance, whereas we typically congregate around the path entrance.

Golfers and kiters - it's like a match made in heaven
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kenjidnb » Sat May 25, 2013 11:41 am

I remember an old post last year which revealed the same concern from the golfers. If we dont hear them, I won't be too surprised if a car get towed...
We should probably put a poster on the gate. Not everybody reads the forum.

spork
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spork » Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 pm

There should be signs up in the parking lot by July.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 pm

In Silicon Valley at least - kiting is definitely the new golf

spork
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spork » Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 pm

I saw a lot of cars parked at the golf course today that were not along the fence. They all seemed very surprised when I told them we were supposed to restrict ourselves to the spaces along the fence. One or two seemed to feel they were allowed to park in the other spots since the spots along the fence were full. And I guess they are - in exactly the same sense that the golf course is allowed to tow them. Come on folks - this is NOT our lot!

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 pm

This is the first i've heard of the rule, though admittedly i didn't seek out parking lot etiquette. It is nice of them to share with us.
What happens when the fence spots fill up, but the rest of the lot is relatively empty? Presumably we should start at the spots farthest from golfing entrance, but whatever straw is the last will certainly appear to be nebulous and arbitrary line to those towed.

Any way to clarify? ...or does anyone have any golf bumper stickers i can put on my car to attempt to blend in hillbilly style?

jsin138
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jsin138 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:12 pm

As we discussed this afternoon, I'll stick a sign on the gate so more people get the message.

Jason

spork
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spork » Sat May 25, 2013 10:21 pm

edented wrote:What happens when the fence spots fill up, but the rest of the lot is relatively empty?
I think when the fence spots fill up you have to wait for one to open or park in the 3rd Ave lot. It can get pretty crowded too, but I have not seen it actually fill up since the "King of the Bay event" a few years ago.
Presumably we should start at the spots farthest from golfing entrance, but whatever straw is the last will certainly appear to be nebulous and arbitrary line to those towed.
You can use whatever algorithm you like. And the golf course management can decide it's just not worth trying to be friendly to folks that can't take yes for an answer. They would be within their rights to deny parking all together for non-golfers. Do you want to be the guy that forces their hand?
Any way to clarify? ...
Yup. You're allowed to park along the fence. Nowhere else in that lot.
or does anyone have any golf bumper stickers i can put on my car to attempt to blend in hillbilly style?
Go ahead. I'll call the tow truck personally.

spork
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spork » Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 pm

jsin138 wrote:As we discussed this afternoon, I'll stick a sign on the gate so more people get the message.

Jason

Thanks very much Jason. I hope and expect both kitesurfers and golfers will appreciate it.

By the way folks, there's a couple of things worth mentioning...
- The golf course hosts the 3rd Ave wind meters and gives me access to maintain them as necessary.
- They allowed us to tap into their sprinkler system so that I could build a rinse station. We can piss them off and they can literally turn a valve and stop that.
- I don't kitesurf nearly as much as I used to. I do more flying these days, and when I do kitesurf (15 times so far this season), I very rarely park at the golf course. This information is for YOU - the folks that DO park there. Take the generosity they're offering, and don't abuse it. It's pretty simple.