need advice for board size with bindings

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor
need advice for board size with bindings

Post by kenjidnb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm finally making the move to boots and I now need to find a new board to fit them since my current twin tip is only 133cm. I got the liquid force synergy ct, which seems pretty light.
I'm looking at buying the cabrinha custom as it can easily be ridden finless. But I'm not sure about which size to get, 136 or 140cm. I'm 5.9 and 165lbs.
Should I get the larger board to go with bindings or will a shorter one can make maneuvering easier?

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Re: need advice for board size with bindings

Post by ramsey » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am

I ride the 140cm with boots. I'm 6'2 250lbs......

There are guys smaller that me that ride the 140 as well, but I prefer a slightly smaller board to make it lighter and more maneuverable. If you are riding 3rd or sherman mostly for freestyle the 136 is probably ok.

No fins makes it harder to go upwind even with the custom so you might have to fly a bigger kite depending on the conditions. If this is a concern go with the 140, just realize it may be a little harder to land that double s-bend to blind :)

If we get wind anytime soon, I'd be glad to let you try my 140.

kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kenjidnb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Thank you Ramsey, riding at 3rd most of the time but not sure I have to worry much about landing double S bends yet, I'm still dreaming of passing a blind judge...
From your statement about going upwind, I understand that larger board make it easier to catch a good edge, which should also help to get a good pop. I've also read that larger also helps for landings. So my choice ends up being lighter/more maneuverable versus more upwind/pop/better landings, I just can't make up my mind!

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm

The easiest way would be just to try them then. Not sure if board size has a whole lot to do with pop.

The custom has good pop mainly because of its rocker line and the stiffness of the board between your boots. 2010 and 2011 models both had about the same pop, but 2011 has better flex at the tips which I noticed immediately on the harder blind landings. Haven't tried 2012 yet.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:18 pm

I go back and forth on this. I'm around 170 lbs and I know i SHOULD ride a 138, but I always end up on my 134 (with boots). The bigger board in theory pops bigger and makes landings easier, but I find i can't edge as hard so I don't get as much slack for airpasses, and it's a lot tougher to rotate fast with that extra length.

I'd say, stick with what you have. Learning to ride bindings is an adjustment for sure. Why switch boards too? Get to know the bindings on a board you're familiar with, and then switch boards later on down the line. You can definitely ride boots with a 133, especially boots as light as the synergy CTs.

The "you need a bigger board to ride bindings" was only really true back in the day when bindings were super heavy.

Yes, you can get bigger pop with a bigger board, but that means you have to have the leg strength to control all that surface (which I don't) and the ability to ride a bigger kite with that bigger board. When I ride with guys who are a lot better than me, I'm always surprised at how big of kites they're going out on. When I'm on a 9m C kite, he's on the same kite, but a 13m. It's not hard to get giant pop with that much extra canopy.

That's why I end up on my 134 even though I have a 138 sitting at home. I can go out on a bigger kite, hold it down with the smaller board and get enough height on my pop to make my passes.

It seems that most of the wakestyle guys on big boards out there are using them more for obstacles and features rather than load&pop freestyle. Having a big board is key for rails and kickers, where the landings are difficult but there's no real edging for takeoff. I was getting plenty of height on my Flat5s on my last trip, but was getting destroyed on the landings, and I'm pretty convinced a slightly bigger board would have helped in that department.

If you're dead set on getting a new board, go 136...getting the 140 around for a blind judge will be tough. and the transition from 133 with straps to 140 with boots will be pretty difficult.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kenjidnb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:08 pm

I could have not hope for a better answer than a response from the 2 bay area freestyle experts!
You are right Adam, the synergy are very light, so I will give a try with my current 133 board before reconsidering buying another one. And if I dare, I would even try to ride oversized :)
Now I just can't wait to get back in the water, but maybe I should work out a bit until then since the boots will make me crash harder!!

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I am 5'9 and about 150lbs, so about your size. I am riding a Liquid Force DLX 134 with boots and it works perfect. I also tried a 138 and that was ok for me too, I prefer the 134 though.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 am

Hey Kenjidnb, What is your current 133 board?

I ask because adam makes a good point, but I think he's forgetting that rocker makes a big difference when you switch from straps to boots.

I used to ride a 134 brunotti pro-x which was a flat rocker board. great up wind, fast skatey etc, but when I put boots on the thing it was a dog.

With boots you cant really point your toes to flatten out the board and ride with speed. Thus the need for a slightly bigger board with more rocker.

kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kenjidnb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:33 am

I have a Naish momentum, actually 132cm x 41cm which has a decent rocker but nothing like a custom I think.
Even though this board is supposed to perform well with boots, I don't have too much hope to get it going without a drag, only because of its size. So the custom 136 will probably be a better alternative after all...

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:15 pm

I would recommend a lightwave 157 perfect for that load and pop! : )
Lol no I would say the cab custom 136 would be your best bet i love it. It slides smooth on the sand and across rocks, ride it without fins its the only way you will get the ladies.I have the 140 super sick but a little big if you wanna throw down hard or if you drive a smart car. Like the guys said, I think the bigger boards are ment for the sliders and features .
If you wanna demo either one just ask.