Suggestions for a good intermediate foil?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
burtonac
Contributor
Contributor
Suggestions for a good intermediate foil?

Post by burtonac » Thu May 05, 2016 2:21 pm

I searched the threads and didn't see much in terms of comparisons of foil boards. This is my second season foiling and I'm outgrowing the LF FoilFish (really easy to learn, but super slow). I want to get a good intermediate foil board (ideally carbon) that I can progress with--nimble, stable, relatively easy to jibe, but something fast enough that won't be boring in 2-3 more seasons. Bonus points if I can plane on the surface while I learn to jibe, so I'm leaning towards larger/floatier boards. I'm looking at the Slingshot NF2, F-One, Alpine, Ketos and Takoon. Any recommendations?

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions for a good intermediate foil?

Post by lieutenantglorp » Thu May 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Are you upgrading foil and board, or just board? Here are many of the manufacturers:

http://kitehydrofoil.com/index.php/equi ... o-buy.html

I am just a freerider but am using Spotz 2 foil and Mike's Lab race board. Both are awesome. I would love to try some of the other brands though and would be great if they were available locally.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu May 05, 2016 3:10 pm

I loVe my zeeko alloy foil its the black and white, sold out now
But they have a new blue and white one that looks good
I put mine on my mhl lift board ..im still trying to stay on it but others talk it up
You could get a carbon one also
http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/49-foil-series
I got mine from a shop back east
http://www.kitesurferstore.com/
Good luck
Oh a lot of guys talk up your lf too they say its a good foil to just go try stuff on
Cuz its ez and not too fast

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Thu May 05, 2016 5:44 pm

maybe you should just try the new wings for your LF foil? definitely the cheapest option. higher aspect wings will require higher speeds to generate necessary lift, and have less drag. maybe even upgrade to the lighter weight carbon fuselage while you're at it. that's my plan! enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morecoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morecoffee » Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm not selling anything but I'll put in a good word for some of the one/two year old race foils. The spotz 1, sword 1, spotz 2, and gen1 f4 foils all meet your description. The spotz1 goes upwind better than the sword1, and the sword1 is more stable downwind than the spotz1. The spotz2 has some quirks that would make me hesitate to recommend it for a beginner, but is a better all around foil than either of the 1's.

All are fully capable of doing a surface gybe, and I agree you should look for a floaty board--foiling gets you out in marginal conditions, and sometimes it's nice to be able to sit on your board while you relaunch the kite.

burtonac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by burtonac » Thu May 05, 2016 11:15 pm

This is awesome advice, thanks all! Lots of new stuff to check out, esp zeeko carbon and spotz (which was not on my radar). I was thinking of changing wings on the LF but my buddy wants to learn so I'm selling it to him and looking for something new. I was leaning towards the Slingshot--any big opinions pro/con? Looks like I should widen my search. Thanks again!

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 am

J-GAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by J-GAR » Mon May 16, 2016 12:08 pm

I really like the F-one foils and foil boards. Very well made and perform very well.

burtonac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by burtonac » Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Any thoughts on the Aguera Go Foil? Saw one at Sherman today and was pretty impressed with the design and the weight, but can't find many reviews online...