Goofy on a Mountainboard

Local weather resources and topics.
Pablito
Resident
Resident
Goofy on a Mountainboard

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:02 pm

Well I didn't get four hours on the water today (Damn, Charly/Ollie!) but I got a half hour or so on the MTB with the Frenzy 7.5.

I just discovered I can't ride the MTB goofy at all. Damn near killed myself. On the water (and snow) I'm almost the same both directions, but I can barely even get my back foot on the MTB with the kite in the air riding goofy.

Anyone have any advice about this?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:04 pm

Damn, I posted this in the wrong section and can't figure out how to move it. Ollie?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: Goofy on a Mountainboard

Post by KillaHz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:49 pm

Pablito wrote:Well I didn't get four hours on the water today (Damn, Charly/Ollie!) but I got a half hour or so on the MTB with the Frenzy 7.5.

I just discovered I can't ride the MTB goofy at all. Damn near killed myself. On the water (and snow) I'm almost the same both directions, but I can barely even get my back foot on the MTB with the kite in the air riding goofy.

Anyone have any advice about this?
Two things:

start out going your good way and then transition into your bad way. The hardest part can be putting your back foot on the board when going your bad side, so avoid it all together by starting out your good way.

The other thing to do is ride toe side. I spend most of my time my bad tack riding toe edge on a KGB.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:27 pm

Pablito wrote:Damn, I posted this in the wrong section and can't figure out how to move it. Ollie?
Where do you want it? Do we need a MTB section?

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:38 pm

There is no real magic other than practice. Where do you normally go? OB is great when the tide is -3 and lower. Soft sand, just in case...

E

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:01 pm

I just wanted it in the general section instead of the "weather" section, but no biggie.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up riding toeside that direction. Didn't get to the point of doing transitions yet (today was my first time on the MB), but I'll try that, too. It definitely was the "putting the back foot in the binding" that kept tripping me up (literally).

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 pm

I use both feet in the bindings always, its hard to slide or lean against the kites power otherwise. You have to get used to slides under power, much more brutal than sliding on water. Try unhooked riding, very hard on the body but much easier to learn. The Flysurfer is ideal for unhooked, you drop the bar and it lands itself. You may have to trim it differently so it does not stall.

E

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:24 am

Paul where were you riding. I got two flats right now, but will fix them soon. Call me if you want to ride with someone.

cell 707-386-6960
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:42 am

Dewey where do you ride? Do you know good spots other than OB?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:20 pm

Elli,
Dewey and I live in the hinterlands (east of the Carquinez straits...)