OZ Snowkite Freeride Tour

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
OZ Snowkite Freeride Tour

Post by jjm » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 am

Windzup @ KiteForum.com wrote: Here's the calendar for this winters Ozone Snowkite Freeride tour. We are kicking off the season at Skyline the first weekend of December and then heading out to California for a demo at Kirkwood. This year the Freeride continues to support the established Snowkite events like the Georgetown Rodeo, Therapy Sessions and the Kitestorm, along with adding a few new venues to the tour. The Snowkite Masters in March will bring the tour full circle and back to Skyline for epic freestyle sessions with some of the worlds top riders; and for the kite-mountaineers, we have some late season adventures including a kitexpedition to Alaska.

In addition to the dates listed, there will also be dozens of local demos, so if you don't see your town listed, drop the crew a line to find out when they'll be in your area.

Registration for any of the events or demos is free, and enters you to win fabulous prizes like snowkiting clothing, boards and accessories. You do not need to compete to win anything, just show up and Freeride.

The Snowkite Freeride tour is supported by Dakine, UltraNectar, Zeal Optics, Ska Brewing, APO Snowboards, Rossignol and Ozone Snowkites.

For more information contact info@windzup.com or check back with http://www.ozonesnowkites.com for more details as the snow hits the ground.
http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2321573&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:41 am

My friend and I were wondering what the best place in Tahoe was to snowkite. Any reccomendations?

Is the size kite you need about the same for water? I would assume there is much less resistance on snow?

Any help greatly appreciated. I think I saw some people last year trying it at Donner lake. There was a huge flat area. But wind seems so unpredictable there.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:29 pm

Dude,
You need to read through the entire section of this site on Snowkiting. There's lots of good posts on locations, kite size, etc; I don't think Donner is one of them. Keep an eye on the Snowkite section here as those of us who plan on doing it this year are going to communicate and coordinate sites, carpooling, etc.

Think snow.

Paul

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:47 pm

I'm hoping to ride near Truckee, but will be driving south if necessary...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Gabe is the man in the know for tahoe. I think he posted quite a bit on the subject. Look it up, I'm sure there is everything you need to know.

Josh, are you going to fly foils??

Paul, are you riding a MTB yet??
Dewey

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:39 pm

dewey, I bought Ed's Frenzys, 7 & 10!

Flew the 7 a bit on Sunday when everyone else was playing with the windwings and am really psyched.

Need to get better at dealing with all the bridles when packing up/down, and keeping lines correct when unraveling with them still attached to the kite.

Other than the bridle hassle, I can really see the benefits of the foils (from a convenience point of view, not performance, not prepared to comment on that..)

They pack up nice and the bag they come with is well designed.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:06 pm

I got a MTB last week, and I've got a 10 Flysurfer and 7 Frenzy for snow that I've been hoping to use with it, but it hasn't been windy enough here. The farm has about 2 miles of dirt roads with no power lines, so it should be a decent spot for kite MTBing. I brought the foils and MTB to Berkeley on Sunday, but by the time we got done riding the WWs in the water there wasn't enough wind left to launch the 10.

We did invent a new sport yesterday, though. Golfboarding, aka Tow-in Mountainboarding. It involves a 15 ft. piece of rope tied to the back of a golf cart that we use around the farm. We got up to about 10 mph pulling each other on the MTB behind the golf cart. I'll post a video one of these days. It's hilarious.

I think it's goingto come in handy until snowkite season starts.

SNOWKITING SNOWKITE

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:24 pm

Did you ever check out the snowkiting in Newfoundland, CANADA? My Newfoundland Adventure Tours is an adventure tourism company in Newfoundland that offers Snowkiting and Snowkite Adventure Tours. They also offer Snowkite Lessons and Snowkiting Camps - a really cool company. If you are looking for the next unique snowkiting venue, newfoundland is it!!! Check out their website http://www.mynewfoundland.ca
WEB: www.mynewfoundland.ca
TEL: 709-686-2222
TOLL FREE: 1-866-4MY-NFLD