LW TT: Crazyfly Cruiser LW or Cabrinha Stylus

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
LW TT: Crazyfly Cruiser LW or Cabrinha Stylus

Post by biba » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Since the wind at 3rd is f**ed up for past 3 weeks, I inevitably started looking into a LW board to make use of Alameda. So, I'm down to:
- CrazyFly Cruiser LW 160
- Cabrinha Stylus 165

I already tested with my Contra 15m:
- Nobile Carpet 160 (what a mess, too stiff, uncontrollable, not fun to do anything) I felt like riding on my fridge door.
- Lightwave Wing carbon 161 - WOW what a nice flexy board, cuts through light chop and boosts nicely. Ugly as shit designs though and not fond of those straps.

I still look at that Crazyfly, i like the asymmetrical fins vs Cabrinha Stylus but im split between the 2, plus Cabrinha has 30% off closeout all 2014. I want some nice playful flexi(er) light wind board so i can go in 12-15 kts.

PS: No directionals pls, I just don't feel attracted to that side of the sport (yet!), I'm running towards freestyling more than gybing on unis.

TIA
Biba

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: LW TT: Crazyfly Cruiser LW or Cabrinha Stylus

Post by dwaynej » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 pm

I chose the Wing and any binding can be used with any board. Without knowing how heavy you are, the smaller Wing may also be a consideration. At 210lbs, I have not needed anything bigger than the Wing 153.

My recent experience with the 15M Contra is that it has considerable low end grunt but does not point as high as a kite like the SwitchBlade so upwind performance is a little lacking - a board designed for strong upwind performance like the Wing should do a decent job to compensate in light conditions.

LiteWave Dave is local based between SF and SAC. he has over 6 years of development with 4 generations of light wind Wings including asymmetrical fins. If the Wing board works but you don't like the color, call up Dave and see if he can make a board with colors that suits your tastes - He's been soliciting us for feedback on alternative board vinyl designs so change is coming, else get it vinyl wrapped.

Cheers to Dave and I guess its a huge compliment when the Nash and Crazyfly's of the world reproduce what he has been doing for 6 years. 15 Wings on the water at Alameda on Saturday if that means anything.

Dwayne

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Another option would be BRM Paipo/Shinn Shinnster, not true stiff surf board and feels like TT/skim mix, so you can get into strapless freestyle! :)
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm

And you are welcome to demo mine
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:49 pm

surfboard or i have a race board that will have you screaming in almost no wind.. give up the twin tips.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com