No fingerprints

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
friggin old guy
Regular
Regular
No fingerprints

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Have you guys noticed that kiting on any kind of regular basis erodes your fingerprints?

I noticed awhile back that the pads on my fingertips get polished after a few long sessions. I thought it might help if I were interested in a life of crime but it's a little late for me to make any job transitions.

I travel out of the country for my job quite a bit, and I signed up to a program called Global Entry that facilitates customs clearance so you can cut down waiting time when you come back into the US. Part of the deal is that you get screened by a machine that among other things scans your fingerprints.

Last time I came in, I had to have the thing scan my fingers three times.....even though I hadn't been kiting in over a week.

I'm guessing this issue of having your fingerprints polished down to practically nothing is pretty common with kiters, but I've never heard of it being discussed before. I've heard that 3% of the population actually has some issues with not having distinguishable fingerprints......and that it causes some problems for those folks when they're being vetted for certain things that require security clearances.

I'd be curious to know if anybody has had similar issues like I had with bad fingerprints due to kiting.......criminals don't need to weigh in, and I hope I'm not giving anybody bad ideas.....

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: No fingerprints

Post by tomerp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Yep I have similar issue when I used to try to sign in to 24 fitness since they started with the fingerprint scanner

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

FoG
Nope.... I have a laptop that I use to print 3D things and it has a finger print scaner thing I use to log in
I get in frist time every time
You know now that I have a grate girl friend
My fingerprints ant rubing off ......

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Maybe you guys are riding with kites with too much bar pressure and rough bar. I kite a lot and don't have any issues.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:20 am

Slingshot rally has light to medium bar pressure but the bar maybe is sanding my digits. I guess I should use the stopper ball to minimize bar interaction but I never use that thing. Good thing I don't go to 24 hr fitness.......