Twin Tip Board ban comming to Crissy

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
Re: Twin Tip Board ban comming to Crissy

Post by ozchrisb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:00 pm

recoprianto wrote: Police and manage your own spot. If you ask someone else to do so, you open up the chance that the someone else may just regulate you out of using the spot.
What do you mean by that? Jeff does a great job of trying to get the word out about how tricky Crissy can be. When people ask me on the beach, I try and give them a honest assessment of the conditions as I see, or have experienced them. When I see someone on the beach struggle to launch and keep their kite in the sky I try and have a friendly chat about how what would happen on the water if the same thing happened. I'm not going to "police" in terms of physically stopping someone entering the water (although I might have helped tackle the guy launching a 17m in 25knots), or abuse/shame them into not going out. From what I've seen Crissy regulars do a reasonable job of self administering, it's the judgment of some users who seem to unreasonable.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:00 pm

The bridge is a huge draw for "tourist" kite boarders. A regular boat launch (Sausalito??) and return operation would be a nice way of tackling the bridge without the issue of difficult launch and changing conditions.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 pm

dwaynej wrote:The bridge is a huge draw for "tourist" kite boarders. A regular boat launch (Sausalito??) and return operation would be a nice way of tackling the bridge without the issue of difficult launch and changing conditions.

thats exactly what John Von of KitetheBay.com offers with his kite boat.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Please keep me in mind if you or someone you know is wanting to kite in the waters off Crissy. I'm happy provide boat support and help them understand what makes conditions good/bad.

I agree we should be relying more on ourselves to police the newcomers to Crissy, but not with the nasty "you can't kite here" surfer vibe. There will always be new kiters lured to the kite under the bridge and rescues will always need to happen. Hopefully more people will make wiser decisions about their Crissy sessions.

Capt John
KiteTheBay!
KiteTheBay.com

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 am

what? using go-joes, helmets, twin tips, board leashes, etc. mean you're not macho enough to be one of the cool kids that get to kite?

not that i'm proposing it, but making those things required equipment would actually avoid the need for some of the rescues.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:18 pm

I stopped by Crissy Field before herding out to Sherman on Sunday. There was nothing I could see that spoke to kiter rules/warnings etc. Definitely needs to be something on site.

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:56 pm

I think that ........ people that think gojoes and board leashes are protective equipment and should be reqired at chrissy...... Should be banned right along with the twintips.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:25 pm

^This

There is nothing inherently wrong with those items - the grumbling comes because of the outcomes we witness surrounding kiters who show up that are still at a point in their kiting progression that they're relying on that gear

An example to put this in context is the Crissy regular that might carry a board leash with them so that they can easily keep their surfboard / raceboard tracked if they're paddling in on it but on their way out passes the 1-2 season kiter who shows up to Crissy "ready to go!" and is fluking their kite out at the launch because they have to stop and connect their board leash to their twin-tip before heading out. Both have leashes - but context of use varies

Crissy is one of the most unreal spots in the bay. There are some epic secrets to it too.. but I recommend if you're interested in going - at least learning to ride a directional first (to make getting through the inside easier, and breakdowns floatier) and making a friend to shadow at least for a few times when you go out - who knows you might even make some new happy hour kiting buds

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:10 pm

dwaynej wrote:I stopped by Crissy Field before herding out to Sherman on Sunday. There was nothing I could see that spoke to kiter rules/warnings etc. Definitely needs to be something on site.
There actually is a bunch of information posted near the bathrooms. I ride at Crissy fairly regularly and after speaking with Jeff had to look for it, I didn't realize anything was posted either. I really doubt that any signage would be allowed closer to the seawall, and there isn't really a single ingress point.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Loscocco wrote: thats exactly what John Von of KitetheBay.com offers with his kite boat.
Thanks - Was not sure if it was a going concern. I made an attempt to reach John some months back and failed to connect.

Dwayne