Twin Tip Board ban comming to Crissy

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
flippersurf
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Twin Tip Board ban comming to Crissy

Post by flippersurf » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 am

That's a silly post/statement. Riding a TT doesn't mean you're new to the sport. I ride all kinds of boards (for almost 10yrs now) but still happen to prefer a TT at Crissy. I just happen to be a freestyle rider (not so much into waves, racing, etc.).

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Agree with flippersurf -- I've been riding for 10+ years, mostly at Crissy. Depending on the conditions, I take out my twin tip or my strapless surfboard... but would rather ride the TT if I can help it.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:29 pm

I posted this thread to exactly stir it up, I do not care about an individuals twin tip preference, what are your suggestions to reduce rescues and making sure all who sail there are well informed about the conditions and helping them access there abilities for the given situation.

We as a user group need to get this figured out, we cannot have each individual have three or more rescues per season until they figure it out.

Depending on the conditions.
That is the key point, 95 percent of the rescues are twin tip board users who use them exclusively and the rescues are at near one per day and more on the weekends and Holidays. Yes it would be harsh for the competent long time riders who exercise good judgment of when to use a twin tip or not go out.

All the rescues are starting to blur there are so many.

I have seen far too many loose there twin tip board, or fly there kite into the water at the slightest wind gust or water chop. A constant scenario on the flood current is not being able to stay upwind and continues to sail while loosing ground instead of getting back to shore, resulting in the Coast Guard having to get them.

I agree with CDOG's post.

When was the last time you volunteered your time looking after the beach and talking it up with all the newbies and foreign riders that pass through Crissy.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 pm

1) TT ban - pretty good for getting a thread riled up, but that's about it
2) policing our own - does that ever work?
3) what are the repercussions of getting rescued? Is there a fee or fine? Has anyone ever had to been rescued more than once, or is the experience so shitty that everyone who fucks up only fucks up once?

I ask #3 is because I'm wondering if something sort of Darwinian should be kicking in here. Without even knowing how shitty it is, I definitely never want to be in a situation where I require rescue, I assume that's true for everybody. What if you just post a picture on a sign at the beach of a rescue, with a couple of words to the effect of "if you don't understand everything about why this happens, don't kite here".

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Rakky wrote:Like quite a few kiting places around the world, I am surprised that there isn't a rescue boat, or someone who wants to make some extra money. Probably charge $20 per rescue. Maybe cheaper and easier than to ban kiters or have the Coast Guard create rules for sailors. Having a rescue boat also increases kiters/windsurfers use of the Bay.
I like this
tgautie you sound like you were getting involved trying to help got cougt in the inside hOle
and ya if the boat shows up get init

I know a hole lot of tt riders who just rip .don't get made at tonY step up and help
excuses ive herd
I don't have time
I just want to kite
I cant talk to people very good
I don't want to get involved

and winds and currents at crissy are very tricky worse then Berkeley
kiteing at crissy is in a commercial shipping lain, ships cant turn or stop well
I ve windsurfed there and kited there but would not pick it as my goto spot.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I think getting the thread riled up with this topic is fair game. Tony Soprano has tried in several other threads to get people to police their own at Crissy, but not enough effort (if any?) has been made by others who kite there.

In the meantime, the number of kiter rescues is increasing and more and more dangerous behaviour is happening on the beach. Something proactive needs to be done to make sure our community is still able to kite at Crissy, because the actions of a minority are putting it at risk.

A real solution is needed, not corrections over who did what on what day or bickering over legitimacy of riding a TT at Crissy.

calikites
Contributor
Contributor

Post by calikites » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 pm

When I showed up at Crissy a couple of years ago people had asked if I had been rescued yet. I shrugged and said "no". I had been kiting Crissy on and off for the past 10 years and I had always made it back. Most of the locals started laughing and said, "if you ride Crissy enough times you will get rescued." It took a year but yeah I eventually did get picked up by the Pleasure Cat. The shame...

You can be on a foil, twintip, surfboard, sup, raceboard, or a bicycle, but eventually something will happen. The wind will die, your kite line will break, your foil board will snap in half, or your kite will explode in mid air (please come up with better warranty excuses). I am not sure that the issue is actually twin tips vs surf boards and experience vs freshie.

Has anyone checked to see what percentage of people that are getting rescued are actually newbies? From my experience the newer you are to Crissy the more scared you are and tend to stick closer to shore (yes I understand this is a double edge sword). From what I have seen the real kooks that do try to ride Crissy are pretty well self policed because it's fairly difficult to launch there and the locals do a pretty good job of "Alcatrazing" Crissy by sharing stories of tides, tankers, tug boats and twintipers. It's really rare that anyone with little experience comes into Calikites and doesn't tell me they are too scared to ride Crissy.

I bet it's rare for anyone reading this post to say the've never been rescued. If you haven't I bet you are jinxed now. Rather than talk about bands and self police I think it might be a good idea to set up some sort of fine or penalty if you are rescued. Maybe something like a swear jar. $25 paid to Jeff for every rescue made. The money goes into a jar and at the end of the year we put up a poll of how to use it. Donate it to save the bay, give it to Fire Dept / Coast Guard, or just throw a bitchin party and invite all of the people who have helped save our asses time and time again. I dunno just spitballing here.

-Brian

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks Jeff for starting this topic.
I def agree with what Brian said above and also CDOG.
Banning twintips in not the answer but is a very good title to bring this to attention and get people to pay attention.
Kiting at Crissy now for almost 10 years i still have a healthy fear and respect for the ever changing conditions and perils.
One of the best pieces of advise i can give for anyone who wants to kite it for the first time or the 1000th is to pay VERY close attention to the tides, wind patterns and backup plan options. Talk to others who have just been out right then or the previous few days to get an idea of what is going on and might happen.

Pay attention to signs of wind dying BEFORE it happens.

Getting a kiter rescue boat out there is the best option but requires $$ and someone to be there to run it. Both of which are very hard to find but i really think that is the best answer.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 am

What really bugs me is that all you guys are worried about losing Crissy as a kiteboarding spot and in the meantime the upper launch at 3rd Ave is eroding away and will disappear in a couple of years. Nobody, including the SFBA, seems to care.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 am

Thor29 wrote:What really bugs me is that all you guys are worried about losing Crissy as a kiteboarding spot and in the meantime the upper launch at 3rd Ave is eroding away and will disappear in a couple of years. Nobody, including the SFBA, seems to care.

You have thread jacked my discussion, please remove your post and resurrect this thread.

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... ion#p85933

You will see the SFBA position on this subject.