Interesting Alameda Crown beach newbies behavior

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Aloha
Old School
Old School
Re: Interesting Alameda Crown beach newbies behavior

Post by Aloha » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:09 pm

This is unfortunately a welcome to the world of more and more kiters every season scenario

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:18 am

sanjose_kiter wrote:
1. Stay away from kiters with helmet, especially when they are upwind of you.
2. Guys with helmet can't hear you anyway, so it is a waste of time to try to talk to them.

I am glad you will stay away from me and glad you will not talk to me
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (3.58KiB)Viewed 2835 times
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:35 am

Col.kiteman wrote:A hot launch is what i have seen instructors at crown beach teach their students, and even in on-side on conditions with kite less than 10 yards away from shoreline. Its upsetting to watch the "fledglings" do this on their own once the instructors deem these students safety competent and able to kite on their own. They go out and do this , and perhaps you (in a calm methodical way ) communicate the dangers associated of these manuvers , and you are looked at like you are the idiot, duh my instructor taught me this , you dont know what ur talking about. Not intended to be a dig at any school, however i am interested in what credentials the instructors have, and if they are infact iko assistants, is there really a level one overseeing the instructor. The reason i say this is i have seen teaching standards broken during lessons at some sites in the bay area, and instead of bitching about it for the forum to see , i will do what is respectable and comment directly to the responsible organizations. Afterall, they may not even know any of this
FTR, the only instruction that should be going on at Crown Beach is from Boardsports. No formal instruction is to be held there by anyone else due to an agreement held with the Parks Dept and Boardsports.

So to throw the term "instructors" around is to throw the team over at BSS in with it. And I know the instructors there NEVER EVER launch kites hot, and frown upon those that do so.

If you suspect bad kite behavior, tap their shoulder kindly, tell them whats up. Then if they continue to be naughty monkeys, tell the girls up at the shack. One bad apple down the beach and ruin it for ALL OF US

jalassim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jalassim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:29 pm

sanjose_kiter wrote:Yeah, it was an orange/black Naish kite.
Lesson learned :

2. Guys with helmet can't hear you anyway, so it is a waste of time to try to talk to them.

Did I miss anything, feel free to chime in.
really??? Some of us ( beginner ) are listening any recommendations... I would not stop talking or giving safety recommendations to beginners... that's the great adventage of being part of such nice community.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 am

Speaking of asshole moves at Crown. The (think he's asian) dude with the white wainman and nobile board. He apparently thinks it's cool to jump and loop your kite when you're still on the beach, and people are coming in and out...
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:31 am

Lesson learned :

Alt_Nevin head wound 81507.jpg
Alt_Nevin head wound 81507.jpg (51.22KiB)Viewed 2666 times
Because experienced kiters do not wear helmets?
Come close son and allow me to explain some things to you before you make a complete fool of yourself.
Last edited by cliftoncutshall on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:36 am

Ya thats jay
You should let him know how you feel about some of his kite antics
I do all the time
Dont forget to tell him to roll up his lines and move his kite out of the L..Z
When he gos home for lunch.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:32 am

ozreiuosn wrote:
FTR, the only instruction that should be going on at Crown Beach is from Boardsports. No formal instruction is to be held there by anyone else due to an agreement held with the Parks Dept and Boardsports.

So to throw the term "instructors" around is to throw the team over at BSS in with it. And I know the instructors there NEVER EVER launch kites hot, and frown upon those that do so.

If you suspect bad kite behavior, tap their shoulder kindly, tell them whats up. Then if they continue to be naughty monkeys, tell the girls up at the shack. One bad apple down the beach and ruin it for ALL OF US
There's always gonna be morons, it's our responsibility to police morons cus they affect our access to practice the sport.

It will come down to regulations, that's inevitable, and "launch/land in designated areas only". It's a disaster waiting to happen, that one time a kite drops on some kid's head and injures his spine or so. And sadly the sport attracts so many spectators that don't realize that staring at a kite from down under is a huge risk.

The Park authority should post signs with rules on being an ass on land, as they are posted at 3rd ave. And fine/remove those who act wreckless and endanger others.

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 am

Ok, ill clarify my "witnessed hot launch" : it was a water relaunch with trailing edge down in water. Kite 30 ft from shoreline max. with 2 people wearing gath helmets. I honestly cant recall kite brand . Not that helmets are in any way a bad idea. And they walked up twords shack post lesson. But im not saying it was bss, im just saying it was B.S.. Ive seen it on more than one ocassion. And one more thing: it is complete craziness and lack of competence to teach someone to launch a kite away from water. Not saying they do or dont do that either. Theres plenty of room. No excuses. Id rather go against the grain and do whats safe, than do whats wrong. I prefer to answer questions from any governing beach agency re: launching my kite the safe way (backwards from alameda status quo) than to question myself after getting a kite hung up in a tree, injure a passerby on the path, or get smashed by a car by launching kite away from water. Usually through process of elimination you can narrow down your options and choose the safest plan of attack wether its a launch, a relaunch, kiting at crissy, etc. by asking yourself one simple question: whats the worst thing that can happen. The answers u come up with will guide you. Not a set of rules or regs, but hey, we all dont think that way. Case in point: some of the behaviors i observe as questionable are perhaps interperative and opinionated, however i do feel establishing large buffer zones for all kiting manuvers (especially for beginners) is the key to keeping us all safer and protecting the sport at our spots.

PvB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PvB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Lesson learned :

I seriously hope this isnt an endorsement to abandon your helmet at any point, let alone just because you think you are good. Ever seen someone with a Traumatic Brain Injury, how about blown out ear drums from hitting the water too hard, concussions (which can easily happen just by hitting the water), bloody heads like the one in the pic above? Wear a damn helmet. Bikers wear them, skiiers wear them... Besides, what are you going to attach your go pro to! ;)

If you dont want to wear a helmet fine, but I think its reckless to suggest anyone else shouldnt (which the above post may not have been doing).