Interesting Alameda Crown beach newbies behavior

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Interesting Alameda Crown beach newbies behavior

Post by sanjose_kiter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:39 am

Yesterday I came across couple guys performing some interesting maneuver on Alameda beach near Shellgate launch area. They were trying to hot launch a kite - which is a green/black 9 meter Naish Ride, I think - right between a couple of other kiters with their kites up in the air in the very same vincinity. Also, there were couple of beach goers/kids playing in the water another 50 yards down the beach. Wind speed was about 15 ish with gust to 20 - 22 which is probably a little too much for hot launching.

The kiter was in the water about 10 - 20 yards from shore. His buddy was catching/holding the kite right at the water edge and it seemed to me they tried to hot launch it. I was a couple yards away so I attempted to tell the kite-holder to go more into the beach area so that the kite will be at 90% to the wind direction.

Well, the kite-holder brushed me off and indicated that they were fine and know what they were doing. Perhaps I came across as too rude or too overbearing since they totally ignored me and carried on. It went on for a few more minutes and they gave up later about hundred yards down the beach. Perhaps it was a good thing that they were doing this at Alameda because I can't imagine the consequence of same maneuver at 3rd Ave. 's lower launch.

I wondered if there were better way to communicate to newbies and their buddies about beach etiquette and that launch area is not for practicing kite skills.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Interesting Alameda Crown beach newbies behavior

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am

I was part of a small crew who started launching there regularly a long time ago when it was really frowned upon to launch at sites other than the shack.

I made it to a point to help often and be friendly when another person launches there. Seemed to work, and when I stopped riding there for awhile, I think Suzie picked up the slack when she started riding a few years ago.

So, now that I'm riding there on a regular basis again, I did notice that an increased number of riders having a "me, me, me" and "don't care" attitude towards other people.

A few days ago, an old guy regular at the beach, Russian(?) dude, self landed downwind a foot away from a cute sunbather. She was startled by the lines that landed on her. Me and Jim reminded him of safety protocols, and he just brushed us off and told us that he is an expert and he does that all the time, and walks away.

I just had to walk away, don't know if it makes sense to harass a senior citizen, senility, maybe? I apologized to the beach bunny on his behalf.

Is it summer yet? Time to get the popcorn popper. Where's Yuri when I needed him?

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kandrey89 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Kite wasn't green/black, it was a Orange/Black.
They at first appeared like an instructor and student to me, but the "instructor" quickly changed my mind when he was trying to hot launch the kite within 30 feet of other people. It was crowded with up to 3 kites in the air, crowded in the sense that those 3 were crowding themselves too, with him trying to hot launch in between them.

I saw them walking back later, it's a group of 3 tall blond guys with 1 kite and board.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:41 pm

Yeah, it was an orange/black Naish kite.
Lesson learned :

1. Stay away from kiters with helmet, especially when they are upwind of you.
2. Guys with helmet can't hear you anyway, so it is a waste of time to try to talk to them.

Did I miss anything, feel free to chime in.

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kandrey89 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Rebecca from BoardSports wore a red helmet on Tuesday DR#@ :)

jalassim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jalassim » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:31 am

Hi could somebody explain what is a hot start? Thanks...

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:41 am

jalassim wrote:Hi could somebody explain what is a hot start? Thanks...
Launching a kite directly downwind - The kite is going to race up to the top of the window and likely pull the kiter forward or worse, off their feet and drag them.

Correct method is to launch a kite at the side of the wind window as the kite will be in full control without pulling you off your feet, and you can safely park the kite at around 45 degrees or so while you get your board and jump in water.

The other issue with hot launch and gusty conditions is the kite parked at the top of the window is the absolute worst place to be, as a gust can pull the kite forward then die and the kite will start to fall out of the sky where it will crash to the ground or be caught by another gust and pull the rider off their feet.

A great habit/skill is to never park your kite between 11-1.
Last edited by dwaynej on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jalassim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jalassim » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 am

dwaynej wrote:
jalassim wrote:Hi could somebody explain what is a hot start? Thanks...
Launching a kite directly downwind - The kite is going to race up to the top of the window and likely pull the kiter forward or worse, off their feet and drag them.

Correct method is to launch a kite at the side of the wind window as the kite will be in full control without pulling you off your feet, and you can safely park the kite at around 45 degrees or so while you get your board and jump in water.

The other issue with hot launch and gusty conditions is the kite parked at the top of the window is the absolute worst place to be, as a gust can pull the kite forward then die and the kite will start to fall out of the sky where it will crash to the ground or be caught by another gust and pull the rider off their feet.

A great habit/skill is to never park your kite at 12.
thanks a lot.... Now I understand better!

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 pm

I'll just add for the lurkers, every site is precious and poor kiter behavior can easily lead to the loss of a site. If someone offers feedback - Take it and be thankful for the education.

A local top secret site I kite at is very protected by local kiters as the loss of the site would have a huge impact to (us) locals. You show up with poor skills and attitude, you will be schooled. Want to argue... We will let the lifeguards take care of your sensitivities.

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:16 pm

A hot launch is what i have seen instructors at crown beach teach their students, and even in on-side on conditions with kite less than 10 yards away from shoreline. Its upsetting to watch the "fledglings" do this on their own once the instructors deem these students safety competent and able to kite on their own. They go out and do this , and perhaps you (in a calm methodical way ) communicate the dangers associated of these manuvers , and you are looked at like you are the idiot, duh my instructor taught me this , you dont know what ur talking about. Not intended to be a dig at any school, however i am interested in what credentials the instructors have, and if they are infact iko assistants, is there really a level one overseeing the instructor. The reason i say this is i have seen teaching standards broken during lessons at some sites in the bay area, and instead of bitching about it for the forum to see , i will do what is respectable and comment directly to the responsible organizations. Afterall, they may not even know any of this