Kite explodes while pumping up

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tom
Joey
Joey
Kite explodes while pumping up

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:30 pm

I have never heard of that happening and also my kite manual states that it is safe to pump up the kite really hard. Today however a friend of mine exploded his kite while he was pumping it on the beacht. Material fatigue?

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Re: Kite explodes while pumping up

Post by tgautier » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 am

Happened to me a long time ago. I realized it was due to beating up the leading edge because I was a newbie. Small scratches can lead to weakness which will lead to failure.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 am

In the leading edge that is.

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:12 am

happened to me. on a kite that had already developed a slow leak in the le bladder.

also seen it happen to others with worn out kites on which the sewing failed on the le sleeve.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 am

Just had a kite fixed for this, i though it was trash, airtime fixed it for $120 they said sewing unzipped and kaboom! glad i was on the grass.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 am

Tom wrote:I have never heard of that happening and also my kite manual states that it is safe to pump up the kite really hard. Today however a friend of mine exploded his kite while he was pumping it on the beacht. Material fatigue?
It could be material fatigue if it's an old kite. Most likely that you had a small cut on the LE.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 am

happens on a regular basis. over punped kite (over recommendations), stressed material (old kite), damaged area(scuffed areas). Most kites can still be repaired, even old ones like the one I just fixed for Vinnie. The cost goes up as the kite get older so maintainenance is the key to prevent a costly repair or get updated gear on a regular basis if you can afford it.

Tom
Joey
Joey

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:35 am

The kite was a used kite indeed, but since my friend had just bought it from a well respected kite-school and it was not used once before I am very confident that they will take it back.

It is just a frightening experience and an earth-shattering "boom"! :-)

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Usually it's the zipper on the bladder not being fully closed or a bad stiching. A few years ago me and a friend of mine bought 7 new ocean rodeo kites 2 of the razors exploded on the first pumping, probably from the stiching work. had happened in some other brands too mostly from the center of the bladder or the far end. Who knows it might be a few different things. It's amazing how everything works somehow.

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58 pm

I've seen a leading edge bladder blowout from sitting in the hot sun for about 30 minutes. Black dacron can get quite hot apparently. Luckily and it was on land and the blowout was right at the wingtip so patching only took a few minutes,