Where to go for flat water ?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Where to go for flat water ?

Post by Thor29 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:02 am

Some of you guys make Sherman sound like a shark infested ninja knife fight. Yes, watch out for the vegetation. But I'm not sure why that requires a PFD. Do people really get stuck in the weeds and wait for someone to come by and pull them out?

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 am

Don't forget the fish hooks (I stood on one two weeks ago), spiders, people with guns, burning cars, fish release stations. It's gnarly out there I hear.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:31 pm

I have ridden some flat water at Crissy under the bridge, but its a really bad place to lose your kite. I assume the OP was asking for the purposes of wakestyle (unhooked) kiteboarding. Otherwise, in most cases flat water is more work than its worth.

PvB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PvB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 pm

ramsey wrote: Any salt pond that is legal to ride (ie: A4 in sunnyvale)
Any chance you could provide a few more details on this. It sounds pretty intriguing. Where to park, when its good, which pond is A4? I assume you watch the palo alto sensor?

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:49 pm

lifejacket at sherman-funny. dont forget your helmet, impact vest, gloves, and extra leash for when you lose your board and the rip pulls it out to sea

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kandrey89 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:32 pm

"Where to go for flat water ?"

Here's the secret:
Put on your gear, go to your bathroom and fill up the bathtub. Perfect flat water conditions. Don't forget to put on your goggles. The pudding is that the water is not salty!

MJ0_ MJ0_ MJ0_

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:48 pm

BryanMichaelMeyer wrote:lifejacket at sherman-funny. dont forget your helmet, impact vest, gloves, and extra leash for when you lose your board and the rip pulls it out to sea
And your GoJoe and swimming fins ;-)

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Well, kite at Sherman lake at your own risk without the PFD. One gent I know almost die there after crashing his kite and had to swim in between the reeds .

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 am

I think there's some discussion on the forum about A4, and I gave the number designation so do a little research and you can find it.

I personally don't like riding there though. Water is super flat in spots, but the wind is pretty fickle and kinda weak on most occasions. I would much rather ride 3rd ave chop.

Palo Alto is interesting because the wind is pretty good in the summer. you just have to navigate all the restrictions.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 pm

What's wrong with 3rd Lower Launch except you will get all freestylers angry if you cross their line to the flag at the corner where they all come throw a trick? :D

On mid-tide and 20s wind day playing between lower launch and Inktomi beach is very buttery flat. Yes, you need to be able to ride upwind, but it goes w/o saying :)

Just don't enter the wind shadow behind the golf course net and the actual lower launch beach and you should be all smooth and fine. Also when there's a low-mid tide the water is about 5-6 ft deep all the way into the channel markers, which is crucial to keep the swell low and make the surface smooth. Maybe i'm wrong but that's how i feel about it :P