kitesurfing banned at crissy field sf?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Boardsports
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Location:Crown Beach Alameda, Coyote Pt San Mateo, & San Francisco
kitesurfing banned at crissy field sf?

Post by Boardsports » Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 pm

--
Boardsports California
Alameda - San Mateo - SF
Voted "Best of the Bay"
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: kitesurfing banned at crissy field sf?

Post by Aloha » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:51 pm

I agree with rigging west along the beach especially on crowded days. It can even make a nice little sand-spit that is naturally separated by the stream mouth from people walking into your "downwind / danger zone"

Maybe adding a map of the beach along with recommended launch area on "beach days" would be valuable to include in the safety overview? Kites present a real concern that windsurfer rigs do not in terms of crashing down on people - I feel like that is the actual threatening safety issue at the spot right now (more so than rescues etc.)

Also I think we need to spread the concept that for any first time Crissy go-er that wants to ride the spot for the "experience" they must find a buddy / experienced local to go out with on water. I'm sure any of the locals would be happy to be an on-water buddy and we all/most carry radios all people have to do is ask.

Crissy for many reasons is one of the most epic spots in the bay - it would be an absolute nightmare if we lost it and were forced to launch from Baker Beach to do Fort Point days (kidding - but maybe not!) +*!@ Anyway, just thinking outloud...

demo243
Contributor
Contributor

Post by demo243 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:26 am

Unfortunately the problem is not the people on this site....

The biggest obstacle will be the people who are NOT on the site...

I gather this is understood here, and if everyone on here follows the set guidelines it will help create a routine and guide those that aren't from the area...

But with out signage, its tough to deal with those not from the area and unfamiliar with the launch... and then those who are to stubborn or believe themselves to be above the rules... they are truly the worst culprits...

Also shit happens at every launch... watched a guy self launch in a crowd of kites and kiters at Waddell last week and sure enough he botched the launch and caught someone in the head with his lines... didn't even offer an apology and then went out and proceeded to "hot shot" around doing jump transitions mere feet from the beach, and cutting right through the surf rotation... I dont have a problem with self launching or landing... especially at the ocean launches since the beaches are so big... but why not just ask for a launch when there are obviously many of us standing around in wetsuits...

Its a tough spot to be at as a kiter... on crowded days at the beach... We all want to kite, and we have just as much right to access the beach and water as every other beach goer. But by the nature of the objects we fly and the potential damage they can cause we are the first ones who have to give up those rights and have to assume more responsibility for ourselves and our actions.

As gear becomes more readily available and safer, and the sport grows, unfortunately I think more regulation will be in store... for better... or worse... I also fear it will become more localized like surfing can be, where if your are not recognized by those who consistently surf that break you are an outsider, where we really should be welcoming all.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:08 am

Hello, coming soon to Crissy Field will be a more ramped up safety, courtesy effort on and off the water.

1) SFBA Site Steward ID clothing for locals who are willing to talk to others.
2) A campaign to enroll the whole kite community to be responsible TO each other with regard to self-managing bad actors who consciously or unconsciously attempt to mess it up for everyone else.
3) A Kiter-specific Safety Event (soon) at StFYC on a Saturday morning (10-1) with strong marketing and NPS and USCG Participation and the message that "self-manage/self-police" or forever hold your peace.
4) SFBA has requested that the NPS will implement more effective signage and related protocol enforcement authority.

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AJr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:10 pm

As a Bay Area transplant from Chicago, Crissy Field seems to be in a similar situation as Montrose Beach. Here's a link to their 2014 Montrose Thread - http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... 232#p59622

The TL,DR of their solution is to give registered riders a streamer to attach in the kite rigging, and then kick any rider without a streamer off the beach. Originally it was the life guards who policed the beach, but it seems that there have recently been some members of the community who have taken 'official' policing responsibilities.

Seems the forum members have a lot of solidarity for their solution, but much trouble with the randoms who show up at the beach without doing any research...
Rock and roll!!!

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AJr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Rock and roll!!!

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Wow, yeah. So, speaking of which, it's not first location I see people asking for IKO Level 3 cards to let you in the water. So, how do you get yours in the SF bay? Apparently the only school listed on IKO's directory is KGB (http://ikointl.com/iko-kite-School-detail?nid=2173).

I'm meeting all the qualifications for a 3N but how do you get it? or you need to show up for a test lol, what's the scoop?

Thanks!

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 am

I would hate to see it go that way of requiring a IKO certification. I can say that over 99 percent of the local riders at Crissy do not have any certification.

This would eliminate some problems, but it really is a local knowledge problem too.

Banning twin tips would be easier and more effective. Tough there a some elite local riders that rock it on twin tips in certain conditions. But they know from experience when not to go out on them.

KGB Kiteboarding
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by KGB Kiteboarding » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 am

Biba and others,
Stop by TP on the next windy day or come to the shop in Emeryville to get evaluated and IKO certified level 3 IKO card for free. We will be happy to provide you with an IKO Certification card which is good worldwide for access, kiting insurance as well as for renting gear from us or other IKO Schools without the need for a possible "can be expensive" pre-rental evaluation.
A very similar standard as Chicago is also enforced at Crandon Park launch in Miami, FL, except at Crandon you need to have kiting insurance before you get your flight ribbon.
KGB Kiteboarding
Kite shop & IKO Center
3310 Powell St
Emeryville, CA 94608

KGB Westside-By Jason Reyes
Lessons Only
400 Sierra Point Pkwy
Brisbane, CA 94005

(888)411-0732
1pm-6pm Daily April-Sept
http://www.kgbswag.com
info@kgbswag.com