Alameda Yesterday

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
rambo
Contributor
Contributor
Alameda Yesterday

Post by rambo » Sun May 04, 2014 11:53 am

Yesterday was awesome with great wind and hanging out with all the locals but I saw a couple things maybe we could do to avoid issues down the road.

1. Obviously don't get all confrontational when someone refuses to launch your 12M kite when its blowing 25+ mph.
2. If you are going to boost in the launch area great but you may not want to do it next to a windsurfer and go crashing through his sail.
3. If you get lofted on to the beach and you can't move with blood gurgling out of your mouth please don't resist someone calling the paramedics. Its for everyone's good.
4. Double check your lines before launching. I saw at least one guy trying to turn his kite into 3 line kite.

Thanks to Boardsports, Yuri and others on keeping things safe.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Alameda Yesterday

Post by le noun » Sun May 04, 2014 2:44 pm

I talked to 3 different people pumping 12 and 14m. For once, they all listened to me.
It doesn't always goes that way.
I'm glad I was one of the first one in the water at 12:30. Out of the parking lot by 2:30 when it was turning into madness on the beach...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

tanker223
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tanker223 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:51 pm

That place always gets crazy when it's windy. I think we need to just remind ourselves to self police when it becomes a legit spot. The 12m folks just don't know better... yet. Its a tough learning curve but better to learn it in an argument than on a stretcher. Thanks to all that helped try to keep it sane there.
Colin

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Sun May 04, 2014 7:58 pm

rambo wrote:Yesterday was awesome with great wind and hanging out with all the locals but I saw a couple things maybe we could do to avoid issues down the road.

1. Obviously don't get all confrontational when someone refuses to launch your 12M kite when its blowing 25+ mph.
2. If you are going to boost in the launch area great but you may not want to do it next to a windsurfer and go crashing through his sail.
3. If you get lofted on to the beach and you can't move with blood gurgling out of your mouth please don't resist someone calling the paramedics. Its for everyone's good.
4. Double check your lines before launching. I saw at least one guy trying to turn his kite into 3 line kite.

Thanks to Boardsports, Yuri and others on keeping things safe.
jesus +*!@ seems like a crazy day

Can't wait for finals to be over so I can get back out there.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sun May 04, 2014 8:35 pm

There was windswell breaking in between the shack and Shellgate - Yesterday was pure awesomeness

PvB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PvB » Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 am

To comment a little further on the "blood gurgling" incident... If someone has a serious crash on land, do not move them and do not let them move themselves. She was lying on her stomach, virtually non-responsive. When she was responsive, she could only ask to be rolled over to get pressure off her shoulder. She could not role over herself. Someone finally rolled her over (not very carefully either), in acquiescence to her pleas. Ill confess that I and others should not have let this happen. This was not the right move in my book (regardless of how much the shoulder hurt). I have personally seen someone with 4 broken vertebrae stand up, and nearly paralyze themselves. People with serious injuries generally dont know what is good for them or how hurt they are. If you can wait for the paramedics... wait.

I was standing about 15 feet away when this happened. From my point of view, it looked like the girl was a bit over powered, panicked a little, unwittingly sheeted in due to panic, started getting pulled down the beach (fortunately toward the water), kept the bar sheeted in, tripped over the little sand cliff, let go of one side of the bar, kite turned back across the window and smashed on the beach. When the kite swung back across, it yanked her face first into the sand, lots of sand in the mouth...

It could have been an equipment issue, but from where I was standing it looked more like an inexperience issue. She had 3 or 4 seconds where she could have punched out or at least let go of the bar. Hard to tell though. I hope she is alright.

jalassim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jalassim » Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 am

Holly $)&@... Does anyone knows if she's alright?

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Mon May 05, 2014 10:21 am

Does the shack have a backboard by chance?
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon May 05, 2014 2:51 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:Does the shack have a backboard by chance?
No backboard there

manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by manplesvanuatu » Mon May 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi all,

Man it sounds like it was carnage at Alameda. I think any experienced kiter should assess the situation and have the ability to refuse to launch someone's kite if he/she deem that the kite size is too big for the present wind condition. Sad to know that some people don't know how to assess their own skill level.
Most newbies who take lessons from the boardsports are sold bigger kites cause the wind condition are softer in summer. But if i recall right, the wind is good there in spring (therefore could be strong). If so, I wonder if the instructors at the shack give them advices on the SPECIFIC wind range of the kites that they sold and recommends them a smaller kite in an event of the wind condition of a day like the day all of these accidents occurred. It seems like every year I always hear the same story: Newbies with a 12M kite trying to fly in 25 knots of spring wind. Sounds like a broken record by now.