LMG - R.I.P.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Aloha
Old School
Old School
Re: LMG - R.I.P.

Post by Aloha » Sun May 04, 2014 8:49 pm

This is shocking and devastating - Greg live on in the wind, the sea, the wild and love around us. I'm grateful and honored to have met you ?#"_

mbzporvida
Regular
Regular

Post by mbzporvida » Sun May 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Another trip around the sun ?

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Nicely done, Zeev. Beautiful.

Thanks to you, I got to spend a day with LMG (and Paul Shapiro) at the America's cup. A great day with a great crew:
LMG, KV and PS.jpg
LMG, KV and PS.jpg (61.86KiB)Viewed 2936 times
I can only wish your pain is now peace and you're getting "some sick sessions" (quoted from his post about the coast on Thu Mar 11, 2004) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15

Kirk out

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 am

I'm so sad this wonderful kiter and a great man is no longer here. He was one of the original kiters (like Bob & Silvia, Charilie, etc.) who were always at Alameda beach and taught us how to be safe. He has done so many good things for the kiting community and kiters. When he did the Crissy to Rio Vista kiting (which is amazing!), he didn't brag about a thing...he simply loved what he's done. Really sad we won't hear your voice on the beach.

I wish he is in peace now. We all miss you, Greg.

GracieMarie
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by GracieMarie » Mon May 05, 2014 10:38 am

Greg was one of those sweet, kind souls that feel everything more deeply than ordinary folk. There is no one else like him. He was and will continue to be loved by those who really knew & loved him.

I was crying when I found out, and someone asked me why I was upset. I explained: i'm not upset. I am HEARTBROKEN. I don't blame him. I miss him.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Mon May 05, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm in shock.
I first met LMG at Alameda, he is the type of person you never forget. I admired his boardmaking skills. I admired his riding too. The Crissy to Rio ride was unbelievable. I respected why he always wore a helmet. May you find peace now with your son. I never would have understood your loss, until I had kids of my own. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon May 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Please come share your thoughts at the Shack on the 17th. Even if you only heard him yelling from a mile away and wondered who could possibly have a voice that carried so far. Come and meet the family. After all, we are all one big awesome family. I am positive that if he could have one wish from us it would be to treat each other well and to kite safely. He was the proverbial BIG BROTHER of the tribe. He was always there when you needed a hand. Though his feelings were extremes, his highs were truly awesome. He was one of the best story tellers ever and always had epic tales to share. And his laugh....I'm sure his laugh still echoes across the planet somewhere. It was hard to watch someone like him suffer in his lulls. And he tried. He did not give up without trying and fighting for answers. Never did he just say I give up. He was a natural leader and fighter. But life somehow did not give him the relief he needed. We can only feel, on some level, happy that he has found the freedom from pain that he needed. I think with a loss like Greg, it wont hit us until we realize there is something missing from the beach. One day we will wonder why it's so quiet in the morning at the sherman parking lot. Or why is no one there to grab my 3 line death spiraling kite? Or I havent heard a great surf story in ages. Or someone didnt just ask you if you wanted to try one of their homemade kite boards. Or when you needed something heavy moved there is no one calling to offer help. No one will have crazy ideas like building hot tubs powered by wind at the second island. I almost miss him accidentally pushing me over with his gentle giant elbow taps. To Greg, that guy who lost his iphone controlled drone helicopter in his backyard because someone called him mid flight. The guy who accidentally pushed me off a pier with his love tap. The guy who was first on scene to pop a dislocated shoulder back in someone's socket. The guy who was the first and only one naked in the hot tub. Mr. I have a great idea, let's build a ramp that wont fit out of the roll up door after we build it.

It's so unfortunate that we lose people and only then realize how much they meant to us. Best we can do is to make sure we tell the ones we have now that we love them.

I love you guys.
You are my family.

Yuri

tanker223
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tanker223 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Truly sad to see him go, but so glad he left us with all that he did. One of the first kiter's I looked upo to back in the day. Thanks, LMG.
Colin

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon May 05, 2014 8:57 pm

windhorny wrote:It's so unfortunate that we lose people and only then realize how much they meant to us. Best we can do is to make sure we tell the ones we have now that we love them.

I love you guys.
You are my family.
You nailed it Yuri. It is times like this when it helps us remember to appreciate those we still have with us.

The kite community really is amazing. I've never met so many people to whom I've become really close, so fast.

Glad you folks are here!

Kirk out

Sandman_510
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandman_510 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Greg was a great guy!
I thought of him when I saw the EPIC bench at the Shack today in Alameda
He showed me how to relaunch a stubborn kite on a light wind day in Alameda. Totally didn't need to but waded out in the shallow water quite a ways to show me the way.
It's nice to read on this forum that he had such a positive influence on others as well, as some sort of legacy.