Fishing Lines at Sherman

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
halibut
Contributor
Contributor
Fishing Lines at Sherman

Post by halibut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Had a bit of a scare early this morning at the access at Sherman. There were three poles out with lines going into the water. I walked upwind away from them and thought I could easily clear them on my way out. I body dragged to where I thought I was clear of the lines but somehow ended up getting the line wrapped around my harness hook and then around my arm as I tried to get free. Luckily the line was either cut or broke before I got into further trouble. Had visions of line wrapped around my neck. I felt bad that I cost somebody their hook or lure.

Lesson here is to be certain to give them wider clearance than you think you need and be aware of wind direction. Lines extend further out than the point where they enter the water. It also didn't help that the color of the line was dark and hard to see. It would be great if they'd choose a different spot to fish but I guess they have as much of a right to be there as we do. Plus it was relatively early (8am) and nobody else had been out yet. May be less of an issue as the season progresses.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Re: Fishing Lines at Sherman

Post by tgautier » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 am

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. While it's probably true that they have just as much right to be there as we do it seems rude and insensitive that they do it anyway. There's one whole spot on the river we can kite while you can fish anywhere. It's not like kiting there is some new thing. I got caught up in a line last year and the fishermen were rude and indignant about it. Which really pissed me off because really it's not like somehow they own the spot either.

halibut
Contributor
Contributor

Post by halibut » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:17 am

Yeah, they have miles of river and plenty of shoreline at the County Access to fish from. I think in this case since it was early and there was no one else around they staked a spot probably not even thinking other river users would show up. Later in the morning as other kiters started showing up they'd left (maybe I scared them away) and didn't come back. The two pastimes are definitely incompatible in a small space. You wouldn't allow fishing in a swimming area. Only option might be signs stating "no fishing 6am to dusk between April and Sept at kiteboarding launch." Wonder if the county would go for that?

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 am

I've been caught in the fisherman's lines at Sherman as well - it was a day where it was previously hot and windless and then the fog popped late in the afternoon. It was a transitional time when they had been there fishing all afternoon and we (kiters) showed up late in the game.

It was totally my fault - I didn't see them and they had every right to be where they were (especially since nobody had been kiting earlier in the day) - it wasn't like they were being oblivious to the typical kite launch pattern. I agree - they've got a right to be there and yet it's unfortunate they pick that exact spot to fish.

I was really happy to have my line knife with me that day... It didn't make them happy when I cut myself out but I wasn't into the idea of their hooks getting anywhere near my skin.

My bad for sure.

Kirk out

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:15 pm

As it gets windier with more kiters, they will likely find another location for the summer.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Yeah, this happens every spring.

Sometimes I'll go talk to them, especially if its a light day on a flood. Usually they just kind of give you hard looks and there is often a language barrier. As diplomatically as possible I try to tell them that the kiters are not trying to mess them up, but that they should expect that a lot of people will be crossing their lines. They don't say much but they usually move on.

There are a few that are obstinate and have a kind of chippy thing. They do have every right to be there and so you do have to be cool about it even if they aren't. There have been a few nasty encounters in the past so good to be respectful in your approach.

But yeah there are plenty of other places for them to go so why they want do endure getting their lines snagged is a head scratcher.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:01 pm

I actually BROKE one of their fishing lines that got wrapped up on my bar. That line was hell the *** out in the water like they were fishing kiters. The weight and hook came right up near my face and was pinching a steering line against the front lines like it wanted to steer the kite for me. Once i realized i was clear i just steeled my kite to the left with a vengeance, looked away and got my left hand out of the way hoping it would pull their fishing rod into the water. Sadly that just snapped the line. I proceeded to yell my lungs off at them. Told Bob about it, said nothing he could do about it +*!@

this was saturday. wind was up and down like crazy. some south to it.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 pm

i have posted this many times, i dont see anything that says paid for by kiters with entitlement issues.
Attachments
04-01-09_1243.jpg
04-01-09_1243.jpg (74.04KiB)Viewed 3521 times
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Oh snap.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Imagine how much easier life would be if we learned to fraternize with the entire community instead of only those that share common interests. If you take time to show a little sensitivity to their intrests, it would most likely benefit your interests as well. Its frustrating i know......but whats completely obvious to a kiter may not be to a fisherman. He probably wonders the same about why everyone has to kite at his fishing spot. Its tough to get pissed off at the ill informed. I got snagged by some 40 lb test a couple years ago. Scared the crap out of me too. Is it his fault for trying to catch a fish? Is it mine for a navigational error? Seeing that his line didnt jump out and wrap me up, i think ill take the blame.