Please D'ont Kite in the Launch Zone/Dillon Beach

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
yojimbo
Regular
Regular
Please D'ont Kite in the Launch Zone/Dillon Beach

Post by yojimbo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Noticed recently at Dillon that there are guys kiting and boosting in the launch zone. This creates a hazard for anyone trying to come in or go out, as we then need to negotiate around you. The person coming in may be coming in because of equipment failure or injury, and this just adds to potential for an accident to occur.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Please D'ont Kite in the Launch Zone/Dillon Beach

Post by le noun » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Weirdly, I feel like this happens at a lot of surf locations. Waddell, OB, etc...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:38 pm

It seems wherever there is a naturally constricted launching and landing spot that also serves as a platform for "showing off", this will occur. The upper launch at Sherman comes to mind. I always read about this happening at Sherman and Waddell, and now I'm witnessing it at Dillon.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't think everyone does this because they are showing off. I tend to stay closer to shore because I've been hurt badly enough in the past that a swim-in would not really be an option (severely broken leg or badly dislocated hip along with several other things). I probably get the most grief because of this and I'm sure more will be coming shortly but I am not really willing to drastically change this.

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:48 pm

I had thought that this might also be a reason that someone would possibly do this. Also if someone is just starting out, and doesn't yet feel confident enough to leave the launch area.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:47 pm

It's tough to judge sometimes, the last time I was at waddell, I had a gear failure that resulted in me having to swim in for what seemed like eternity on a super cold day. My calfs were cramping up, it was toward the end of the session and once I got to the drop zone on pretty big surf day, I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to make it out of there alive. Totally shitty experience but made me stick to distances from shore I know I can get back to without drowning and that was probably 5 years ago.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 am

Not to be harsh or anything, but if you feel the need to boost or dawdle in an area that inconveniences others and prevents traffic flow, you need to study up on manners. It's really just an exercise in common sense to keep areas clear where folks are riding waves or entering/leaving a constricted area.

I'd agree it may also be common sense to stay close if you're throwing stuff where risk of injury is high, but only if you don't impinge on other folks.

Personally I like to get as far away from the show as possible. No matter how good you are, if you're pushing it you're going to lose it every once in awhile. I damage myself enough anyway, no interest in being collateral damage from some yahoo having an oops moment.

Not saying the show is a bad thing. We all benefit from the entertainment as long as it does not devolve into something like a public sex act we have to watch whether we want to or not. Just don't assume that people are down with your being all rad if you're being irresponsible, pretty basic stuff.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 pm

It is very easy to be close to the shore at Dillon down wind from the launch. The beach is over a mile long.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

zgur
Resident
Resident

Post by zgur » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Do not jump and do tricks in the surf....If you want to do that kind of riding, respect that others play in the ocean to ride waves.

Go upwind/downwind where people are riding waves and do your thing....

If you can't show basic etiquette by NOT doing freestyle in the surf zone, you will be "vibed" "yelled at" "bullied" "treated like a dick" "called a kook"....etc.

It is basic respect.

Get sum, Z

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Surf is not the right place to do any sort of tricks unless you have lots of kites to replace the chewed up ones but I am totally not into the idea of "this is surf so only surfboards allowed". That seems totally not cool. Why shouldn't you jump and do tricks in surf if you choose? There is so much water around that there is space for everyone and for everyone to take their turn whether it's smacking the lip or lip smacking you on whatever length wood you happen to be riding. I think it's more of a situational awareness kind of a deal. Over the years I learned that there will always be someone in your way at some point in your session but I'm having too much of a good time to let that bother me. If someone is persistently in my way then I simply adjust the timing and everyone is happy.

I also noticed that those who are not willing to adjust are the ones who get upset the most. It's like driving on the freeway, some people will not leave the fast lane no matter what and then are upset because they were passed on the right by cars going significantly faster than them.