Join me for kiting this weekend?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
chriscls
Joey
Joey
Join me for kiting this weekend?

Post by chriscls » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi guys,

I've just moved to the area and am looking to check out Alameda or maybe Crissy Field this weekend. I'm not sure how much to trust the forecast but it looks like there will be good breeze on Saturday and Sunday. I'm 160lb and ride 11m Switchblade and am mostly comfortable going upwind but have read some iffy accounts of Crissy Field. It'd be great to meet some local riders and get out on the water with others. Let me know if you're interested or have any feedback on the areas/conditions!

Best,
Chris

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Join me for kiting this weekend?

Post by jjm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Might want to avoid Crissy while you're still only "mostly comfortable going upwind". Additionally it will be flooding in the afternoon this weekend. (Ebb tide is preferable)

toddeby
Joey
Joey

Post by toddeby » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:12 pm

+1 on the skip Crissy advice if you are mostly comfortable with anything...

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Probably your best bet for wind this weekend is 3rd Ave on Saturday. Or maybe Sherman Island if you don't mind driving that far. Alameda is pretty iffy and like the other guys said, you're not ready for Crissy Field yet.

Sounds like you are a relatively new kiter. Alameda is the most beginner friendly spot but the wind is not always that great there. 3rd Ave has a lot more wind than Alameda but doesn't have the nice long beach to land on if you get into trouble. Sherman Island can be a lot of fun, especially in the summer, but you need to be able to go upwind immediately when launching or you hit land. Those are the 3 best places to go to for an intermediate kiter in this area.

Read all about the kiting areas here:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... m.php?f=23

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Definitely agree with the previous comments, and will add that it is still early in the bay area season, which means that the wind can be gusty, and it can build quickly. In the spring the winds are generated more by strong frontal movement here than by the pressure gradients set up in the summer by temperature differences. If you're at Third you'll meet long-time locals who are friendly and will tell you if there's something to watch out for.

Kudos for asking on here! I plan to make it up to 3rd one of these breezy afternoons if the damned phone stops ringing... (yeah, it pays to answer it, and I need a new 7m... ;).

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Pretty much like others said: Alameda if windy otherwise go to 3rd. The launch at Sherman is tricky and well, you won't be comfortable fighting the current amongst container ships at crissy.

Check out boardsportsschool on FB as they post onsite video wind reports for the first two spots (I am not affiliated).

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm

3rd ave and Sherman are def your best bet. Just show up at either of those spots if there is wind and there will be tons of friendly faces there to help you out and show you the ropes.
Welcome!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Loscocco wrote:3rd ave and Sherman are def your best bet. Just show up at either of those spots if there is wind and there will be tons of friendly faces there to help you out and show you the ropes.
Welcome!
+1. MJ0_
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

Please come find me when you come to 3rd and I will be more than happy to give you all the pointers about 3rd AVE.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm

Sonny wrote:Please come find me when you come to 3rd and I will be more than happy to give you all the pointers about 3rd AVE.
I second that. Sonny guided me as well last year, he's very knowledgeable. Look up for him and his foil :D