self rescue strapless question

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
edented
Contributor
Contributor
self rescue strapless question

Post by edented » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:04 pm

I've recently started riding a surfboard but have yet to self rescue with it.

What do you do with the board in low wind (eg. dropping the kite inside at Crissy or 3rd), or high wind assuming you still have the board within reach?

Do you put it on your feet between yourself and the mess of winding? sit and straddle? have a small loop at board leash point and carry extra leash to clip to and let it drag behind you?

Hopefully this won't be happening anytime soon, but i'm thinking a dry/planned run might be in the cards.

Thanks for your expertise

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: self rescue strapless question

Post by WindMuch » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes, I have a little loop of line on the leash plugs on all my surfboards and carry an extra leash on my harness to clip to the board in the event of a self-rescue or light wind melt-down.

But be careful if you pick up someone else's board and try to clip it to your spare leash- you're essentially making their board into a slingshot-weapon when the board catches in the water, loads up and then ricochets back towards you.

If there are other kiters still able to ride and you don't need your board as a floatation/safety device, consider asking someone (you ARE riding with a buddy, right?) to take your board to the beach for you and self-rescue with just your kite.

Kirk out

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 am

I found this video that shows sitting on the board in what looks like light wind.
I hadn't thought of deflating and rolling it up to then paddle in, but i'm guessing that would be necessary if the wind is too light to taco sail in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4fQKMz2Cc[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4fQKMz2Cc

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:48 pm

NEVER DEFLATE YOUR KITE.
The floatation and visibility the kite provides is an essential for your safety.

If there is no wind, clip the kite off at the pump attachment upside down with the lines rolled up. lay on your board and swim in.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Yes a small loop in the leash plug on the surfboard and an extra kite leash. I have also used the sit on and straddle method while using a skimboard. Also +1 on never deflate your kite. I really can't think of an instance where that would ever be helpful.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Surfboard = waves. Ride in waves and the board will go back to shore. Otherwise, put it between your legs. I was never found of the leash thing.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Just watch those board fins - Saw a kite with a few gashes after a self rescue due to the fins.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I believe the 'deflate the kite' thing was only mentioned in reference to a boat rescue being imminent.

Kirk out

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:01 am

Yup, deflate for boat rescue. It's much easier for the boat if you wind up the lines and roll up with the struts inflated.

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll start carrying an extra leash and put in a loop to attach.

'never get out of the boat' (don't deflate unless you're getting on a boat).

And practice on purpose.