I'm alameda shamed.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dboardfox
Contributor
Contributor
I'm alameda shamed.

Post by dboardfox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:52 am

Ok, I'm that guy who had his kite drop in a lull at the alameda launch and then power up and go back into the launch area(3/30). First I apologize I am extremely concerned about safety and feel ashamed that I put people in jeopardy(I packed up an left out of shame) I just want to kiteboard badly, yes I have taken lessons and Yes, I am new to the sport. However, I am not unskilled as during my first ever regular tack I nailed a back roll. So here is my plea, I am a pro level wakeboarder trying to learn the ropes. My mistake was trying to fly my heavy kite 12m kite in light winds. when I saw 10.5m flying I thought I was good to go; I was wrong. This is where I need a mentor friend. I purchased my kite for learning and durability, it's heavy as a 12m and now I know. So bottom line is I need a mentor; and I will trade services with Wakeboarding lessons or time. Email me if you would consider being my mentor. This is not a one way street as I can teach you how to kick ass on a wakeboard. ( tantrums, mobes, scarecrowes, rolls, 180 's to 720's.). Dboardfox@gmail.com.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: I'm alameda shamed.

Post by kitenaked » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:03 am

No worries. Dont know of the incident and if anyone got hurt or not....besides maybe just your pride.

The big thing is that you recognized that you need some help. Lots of times, ego's get in the way of this.

There are a handful of folks in Alameda that would be happy to help. They can likely chime in..

OG Ollie saved my ass once in Alameda on my first year.....

not sure if he still kites :) , but I hear he is a heck of a dad!

Congrats on the backroll.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 am

Come by again this weekend, Boardsports will be open, and they're having an f-one demo, so a decent amount of kiters will be out, including the local nut gallery. I'm a local myself and will be there. We're all happy to help.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:26 am

Hey there,

Good on ya for owning it. That's commendable - most folks screw up and keep screwing up, being dangerous everywhere they go.

I live in the Oakland hills and generally kite the coast. But as spring winds are likely to actually make Alameda kiteable, look for me there. I drive a white VW camper van.

You can also chat with Jane & Rebecca and/or Jesse at the Boardsports shack. They're all super helpful and if you approach them with a smile and humble attitude (which you seem to have for starting this thread), they'll provide good advice as well.

Kirk out

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 am

I'm not too sure about the "heavy" kite thing - pretty much any kite will fall out of the sky if the wind dies. It can be very tricky to launch a kite when the wind is not steady. I recommend that next time you launch your kite you ask for a 2nd person to stand next to you and make sure you get it right. Most people will be happy to help - we were all beginners once.

barrettcook
Joey
Joey

Post by barrettcook » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 am

When I was learning at alameda a couple years ago I spent some time before each session just watching others. Take your time, ask for help, advise or ask questions if you see someone doing something you don't understand. The Boardsports crew was also super friendly and helpful.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 am

As unintuitive as it may seem, sometimes, particularly in light wind it is important to remember to sheet out on the bar if the kite seems like it's not flying right or falling backwards. It's easy to cling to the bar, thinking you're getting more power by sheeting in when actually the opposite is necessary. An over sheeted kite will stall and begin to fall backwards.

It takes a while to get it into your muscle memory to sheet out in those situations.

But light wind is always tricky...

Kirk out

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 am

Oh and I'll definitely take you up on those wakeboarding tips! I have many trips planned to Wake Island this season.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:48 am

If the kite starts to back stall just sheeting out might not help. You will also need to grab and pull on the front lines. The trick is to gauge when you need to let go of the front lines and get back to steering the kite as it might start pivoting towards the ground.

oskar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by oskar » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Also, many people seem to think the safest place to keep your kite is at 12 o clock when putting on your board or standing around on land. It is not. Instead, try to keep your kite at an angle out to either side, preferably towards the water, rather than right above your head. That way, in a lull, the kite just falls towards the water along the edge of the wind window with relatively tensioned lines, rather than slacking and inverting over your head before falling right into the power zone.