SUP Paddle

Bay Area Standup Paddle Discussion, Sites, etc.
Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
SUP Paddle

Post by Ron » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 am

Hey SUPers ;-)

I need to by a SUP paddle and i have pretty much everything figured out except one thing: Adjustable or Fixed paddle. The reason i am hesitating is because I intend to use it both in waves and cruising (the latter probably more). I believe you want to be able to do short strikes to catch waves and a slightly smaller lenght is better for that, but too small and it hurts your back when cruising in the bay. I will be the only one using the paddle and fixed one are lighter, cheaper and cut to lenght.

What's your experience/reco for dual use: fixed or adjustable? Would a fixed one cut for touring be too long for waves?

Thanks!
Ron

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: SUP Paddle

Post by WindMuch » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am

I'm no SUP expert, so take what I say with lots of salt...

I really enjoy being able to adjust the length of my paddle. Some days it just feels right to make it a different length. Can't figure out why...

Kirk out

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 am

I'm a SUP newbie and love my adjustable paddle. Picking one length would be way too hard, and I'm with Kirk the setting seems to change with my mood.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 am

Interesting...thanks guys. I thought the extra weight would alleviate the benefits of the adjustable paddle. Do you not wish your paddle would be 100/200 gramms less?

What do you have and do you use it both in waves and for touring? Thank you!

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:48 pm

I have a Sawyer Quickdraw Traveler http://www.paddlesandoars.com/PADDLES/S ... -TRAVELER/
The length adjuster is really easy to us while paddling. As I have a inflatable SUP I wanted a three piece paddle. I guess a 200 gram lighter paddle would be nice, but it's not like it's exactly heavy now and being able to let other people use the SUP was a big requirement. The only "waves" I try and catch are the calf high chop rolling into the bay. Like I said, I'm a total newbie so I might not be the person to be listening to |}{+

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 pm

I used to have an adjustable aluminum paddle which I lost a couple of months ago. My new paddle is fixed length and I like it much more because it's so light.
If you don't mind the weight of the adjustable paddle then go for it.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I like it much more

Thanks for the feedback - Can you use it both in surfing and touring or you feel that not being able to adjust the lenght is limiting somewhat? What paddle do you have?

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Ron wrote:Thanks for the feedback - Can you use it both in surfing and touring or you feel that not being able to adjust the lenght is limiting somewhat? What paddle do you have?
I'm using it for both with the same length and it's perfectly fine. However, I'm kind of a noob in the waves so probably not the best person to ask.
The paddle I have is a C4 Waterman Bamboo which is available for a good price at theclymb.com

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Ron wrote:
What do you have and do you use it both in waves and for touring? Thank you!
My paddle is a Slingshot Switchblade:

http://www.slingshotsports.com/sup/prod ... u-14520102

Works great for touring and in the surf as well.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 pm

I got a great deal from Boarsports for a Starboard enduro carbon paddle 525...super light. Took it out once and it's great.