hey 3rd ave: want some carpet?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
hey 3rd ave: want some carpet?

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:49 am

i'm tearing some carpet out of my house. it's in excellent condition; almost new. does the 3rd ave crew want it for their rigging area? if so, is there anyone with a truck willing to come get it in HMB?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: hey 3rd ave: want some carpet?

Post by le noun » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 pm

We should cover the entire mudflat with it.
That should take care of the erosion problem. Lo)%
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:00 am

behindThePeak wrote:i'm tearing some carpet out of my house. it's in excellent condition; almost new. does the 3rd ave crew want it for their rigging area? if so, is there anyone with a truck willing to come get it in HMB?
Please do not bring the carpet to 3rd, Foster City is planning on installing artificial turf in the rigging area.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

Cali_Rider
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cali_Rider » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:45 pm

artificial turf at the upper launch? or lower launch? I thought they were only making improvements to the lower launch?

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:44 pm

near windsurfing launch and near the lower beach.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

Cali_Rider
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cali_Rider » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:31 pm

So maybe le noun still has a good point about covering up the mud flat?? Or maybe putting a walkway into the water for low-tide days? Just a few thoughts.

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:03 am

It would be a horrible idea to put any carpet on the upper launch. At super high tides it would get swamped. Imagine the mess... What we really need are large quantities of dirt or sand. If anyone has a dump truck full of sand, I would be happy to push a wheelbarrow up and down the bike path. Unfortunately, I am sure at least one of the local governing entities would frown on us taking it into our own hands.

I'm really bummed that nobody seems to care that the upper launch is going to disappear in just a few years. The SFBA is completely silent and all that Foster City activity seems focused on the parking lot and windsurf area.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:13 am

This is a repost from Jim McGrath the SFBA Vice President and BCDC Commissioner.
3rd ave upper launch erosion

I agree that this is a problem, but of very substantial scale. My background is in coastal engineering and shoreline retreat on the open coast. The beaches on the West Bay in this area are highly disturbed, and the shoreline is both retreating and adjusting, as well as responding to sea level rise. There was a pretty good look done at Coyote Point as part of the County's efforts to build a beach there. Essentially, the shoreline was pushed out with fill over the mudflats. (It is also altered by other nearby fill areas, like that to the upcoast of the power lines.) All of this alters both the supply of sand and the wave energy. David Lyon has poked around a bit, and I asked two technical experts--Bob Battalio, ESA's coastal engineer, and Peter Baye, who has worked on beach restoration (e.g Aramburu Island in Marin County) for a little informal help.

There are two problems. First, long term erosion and sea level rise has eroded not just the beach, but areas up wind (up wave energy direction), so shoaling of waves occurs closer to the beach, bringing more wave energy and accelerating erosion. Second, but not so clear to me, the shoreline was perhaps filled many years ago and is now seeking a new equilibrium. Unless we understand the issues, and have the City behind us, any restoration efforts are doomed.

The good news is that the agencies who regulate the shoreline now understand that soft solutions--eg. restored beaches--are better habitat than rip-rap. So there are some prospects for eventual support and solutions, but the price tag is in the millions, and the time scale is in the five to ten year horizon.

Sorry to not have better news.

Jim McGrath