Cell Reception at Kite Sites

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Cell Reception at Kite Sites

Post by g00mbs » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am

Hey,

This might be a little off topic, but I figured others would be interested in the info.

I'm thinking about switch from Verizon to T-Mobile. Can anyone comment on the cell reception at the major kite sites around the bay?

3rd, Coyote, Crissy, Alameda, OB, Waddell, Sherman?

Any insight is helpful.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cell Reception at Kite Sites

Post by drroc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 pm

I have Tmobile, and I have kited at 3rd, Alameda, and Waddell. Only at Waddell I get no reception at all.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:17 pm

It doesn't matter your provider for those locations.
It will work fine with any of the ones mentioned above, except for Waddell.
Also, get a VHF for Crissy.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:14 am

I can say with certainty that AT&T and Verizon have NO coverage at Waddell. My AT&T coverage dies right around Pescadero heading south.

I was at Waddell one day when a guy locked his keys in the car. He was walking around asking if someone had a phone from a particular carrier who does have coverage in the Waddell lot. I'm not positive, but I think it was Sprint?

(if you're in an emergency and use AT&T, go South rather than North. There is decent 4G (not LTE) coverage a few miles south of the Waddell parking lot at Scott Creek). Are there still pay-phones in the Waddell lot?

Kirk out

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:18 am

only sprint works at waddell which is kinda ironic since it sucks pretty much everywhere else.

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:23 am

stick w/ verizon for the best all around coverage. (except at wadell, evidently)

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:33 am

victor wrote:stick w/ verizon for the best all around coverage. (except at wadell, evidently)
Not to turn this into a 'which carrier has the best coverage' thread, but it's important to be informed. Verizon's coverage *may* be better here or there, but you can't use internet access at the same time you're on a voice call with Verizon. That means no Maps, email or BAK (!!!) while you're on the phone.

That's a deal-breaker for me...

Kirk out

g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by g00mbs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm more interested in cheaper prices and the Nexus 5, which I can't put on Verizon. Contracts blow, which is why I'm thinking of switching.

Worst case I switch to T-Mobile and it sucks, so I move over to At&t which should be decent enough.

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 am

KirkVan wrote:
you can't use internet access at the same time you're on a voice call with Verizon. That means no Maps, email or BAK (!!!) while you're on the phone.

Kirk out
Not true unless you are stuck on iphone.
Last edited by lieutenantglorp on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

lieutenantglorp wrote:
KirkVan wrote:
you can't use internet access at the same time you're on a voice call with Verizon. That means no Maps, email or BAK (!!!) while you're on the phone.

Kirk out
Not true unless you unless you are stuck on iphone.
You're absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't aware the issue was the lack of a second radio in the iPhone and that other phone vendors (Samsung) had worked around this by adding a second radio to their hardware.

"But right now, there’s no standard for sending voice transmissions over LTE, so voice signals instead travel over the 3G network. That generally would mean that you’d be back to the situation where you can’t talk and surf at the same time, because the 3G network doesn’t support it.

However, other phones, such as Samsung’s Galaxy S4 are able to get around the limitation by incorporating a second cellular radio. While the first radio switches to 3G to make a call, the phone can use the second radio to connect to the Internet.

Apple’s iPhone 5 lacked a second radio and it looks like the iPhone 5S and 5C will lack one too.

(from: http://www.siliconbeat.com/2013/09/11/n ... -and-surf/

Kirk out