Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post by sflinux » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 am

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned?, Petition to save

Post by MehYam » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Signed.

On a related note, fucking absurd.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 pm

This was all caused by some kite boarders being jerks to a family with small children.

Now it has escalated to looking at what is in written law.

This affects windsurfers too as this is the beginner/intermediate launch for them.

https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewto ... 7a1351382b

JQI*

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Signed and attached a short letter I composed. I'm curious if anyone knows where/who I could send this letter to directly that might have some weight in this decision.

Born and raised on the Big Island means that I grew up in the water. Surfing, diving, fishing- these are the activities that many locals base their day around. The ocean demands respect, and nowhere is this more apparent than in Hawaii, the most secluded islands in the world. To say that our waters must be protected is absolutely obvious, what may not be so obvious is how and to what extent. A blanket approach of banning all water sports from a world-renowned beach that inspired the creation of these sports, is going too far. It will surely close down several local businesses that rely on the presence of kiteboarders, windsurfers and paddleboard riders to keep their doors open. As word spreads through the community, tourists with these sports planned for their trip will look elsewhere, choosing instead to visit Mexico, Australia, or maybe even South Africa to fulfill their dreams of tropical winds and warm pristine waters.

These lands of immense beauty are not filled with oil or coal or precious gems, but they are filled with the Aloha spirit. This beauty and way of life is what brings visitors from every corner of the world to the islands. They of course bring money into our economy, but what might be forgotten is what they leave with: a new perspective on life's priorities, and a deep appreciation for the natural beauty this world contains. The surfing culture has long been a driving force to spreading this view to the entire world, but surfing has evolved. It has literally spread its wings and taken to the air, drawing in more enthusiasts as windsurfing and eventually kitesurfing finds it's place within an ever-changing planet. I have indulged in almost every sport that involves a board under my feet, and nowhere have I seen more community and aloha spirit than in the sport of kitesurfing. We rely on each other, we trust each other, and we all share in the burden of protecting our access to the ocean.

Looking toward the future, I can't imagine coming to visit Kanaha without seeing the horizon speckled with all the colors of the rainbow, slowly swooping up and down, capturing the powerful winds so graciously bestowed upon the valley isle. I can't fathom seeing a beach, empty of the smiling faces from a perfect session in the most beautiful place on Earth. I refuse to accept that this law is the answer, and plead for a diplomatic discussion with the Maui Kiteboarding Associations to find a solution that ensures the safety of all beach-goers, without the need for an outright end to our coastal access.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

floater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by floater » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Signed

Everyone do the same. This is the beach where most if not all R & D is done for most kite companies...

S*urf

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Tony Soprano wrote:This was all caused by some kite boarders being jerks to a family with small children.
You say this like you were on the beach while this whole thing started. I am guessing you were not.

I was there almost every day during the beginning of this little spat. The family started most of this and a few (2-3) kiters that stayed involved and made it worse than it should have been...then this family then made it their personal cross to never "give up the fight" and get kiting banned at Kitebeach.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:54 pm

oh yeah. motion to ban swimming from kahana beach.

plenty of other places where you can't kite. go swim and snorkel there. boom NJ**

Lo)%

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm

A kitesurfing ban is all fun and games until a swimmer gets bit by a shark or has a heart attack and then everybody wishes the on water first response recreational users were still out there

Ayer Nakite
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ayer Nakite » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Signed. Kanaha has always been a place for wind sports. Let's all sign this for the good of all kiters and windsurfers.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Signed

Agree that it's crazy that one disgruntled person can create such a ruckus. Maui is famous around the world for leading in the development of both kiting and windsurfing.....so they close one of the premier locations on the island based on the crusade of a highly vocal individual that sounds like he had an axe to grind from the get go?

I went to high school there....this individual does not sound like he knows what the aloha spirit is in any way/shape/form. From what I hear, he's not a local and boy I just don't know how he got this thing carried so far without ruffling a lot of local feathers, kiters and non-kiters alike.

Ugly and unnecessary. Too bad. Hopefully some good might come of it in the end.