Beginner spots for end of season

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jansch
Joey
Joey
Beginner spots for end of season

Post by jansch » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Hello folks,

I was wondering if there are good beginner spots in the area where I could practice even during the end of the season.

Most of the time I went to 3rd Ave but it looks like season finally ended over there and the winds are too light for my 11m kite.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Btw, I am good with driving somewhere for 1-1.5 hours to practice.

Thanks,
-Jan

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Beginner spots for end of season

Post by Thor29 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Nope. No such thing. The season is over for the entire region. The hardcore guys will score a few sessions over the fall and winter, but those rare windy winter days are too tricky for beginners. You can either fly to South Padre Island, TX or La Ventana (Baja Mexico) or wait until March for our season to come back. It's time to go skiing or surfing instead.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:14 pm

What thor29 just said.
Most of those are no beginner spots in the winter (aka no spot with safe last beach to land).
And even when they are (alameda for example can offer some good southerly wind on a good storm) they are REALLY tricky winds that beginners shouldn't play in (gusty, shifty and can die off in a few seconds).
On top of that, you're gonna need to stay glued to your computer and do your own forecasts when it comes to south winds.
Last winter wasn't bad, I was able to score at least 1 session per week.
However, I have been so happy to start surfing for the past month that I don't think I'm gonna waste my time hoping for a kite session this winter.

... but again, I'm completely addicted so we will talk about this again when the first storms start kicking in... Lo)% Lo)% Lo)%
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

naters1308
Contributor
Contributor

Post by naters1308 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I think if you can afford to take a trip, South Padre Island is excellent for beginners. There are a bazillion threads on here with info, water is shallow and flat across the bay, wind is pretty steady in the fall, and it's relatively cheap as it's off-season. Nearest airport is Harlingen, but if you book Southwest it's sometimes cheaper to book 1-way to Houston and then HAR-->HOU. Brownsville (closer) and McAllen (farther) also work. Expect weather to be 80 degrees or 50 degrees, depending on wind direction, but it will more often be 80 degrees on your 11m (assuming that's your light-wind kite).