Shellgaters: ideal size for Alameda?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Shellgaters: ideal size for Alameda?

Post by ddubwinokur » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am

Hello, this question is directed towards "the regulars" who kite at Alameda all the time.

I just took a new job not far from Alameda, so it looks like Alameda will become my goto spot for 2014. I currently have only a 9M and a 10.5M, which I know won't be large enough for most days at Alameda.

What size would you recommend to get as many days on the water as possible at Alameda? I'm about 170 pounds, have been kiting for 3 seasons at 3rd and Sherman, will be riding a large TT most of the time.

Basically, I wanna know: can I get by with a 12, or do I need to be thinking 14, or should I even look into jumbo size (17)?

Thanks - Dan

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Shellgaters: ideal size for Alameda?

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Probably 50/50 between my 12m Caution or BRM Cloud strutless kites 13 and 17m. Clouds are awesome in the light wind. Seems to maximize my time out there and gets me off the beach when most are struggling. I'm 185 lbs and ride a surfboard.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:09 pm

depends all on your desperation level. BIIIIG (16+)if you are desperate and cant pick your days & times - not so big (14+) if you can pick and choose.

BTW more important than the kite is the board. Get a Door / Glide / Wing ... first.

G

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Get a directional and a 14.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:09 am

10.5 will be fine for you on your standard day where newbies are out learning on 12's

Marginal days make sure you have a 17 or 18 with either a door TT or a raceboard

There are a bunch of us at shellgate who all have 17+. The slingshot turbine and the ozone zephyr both look like solid kites. I ride a 18m RRD race kite and 70cm raceboard there but I will go sailing even if there's almost no whitecaps. I haven't ridden the cloud but I prefer high aspect kites when the wind is light and the kite is huge

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:58 am

I've ridden both zephyr and turbine. Prefer the Cloud. Past summer was working in LA and rode Belmont a lot which is lighter than Alameda. Favorite was being only one out on Cloud. Has so much grunt and apparent wind given how light it is.

Agree though surfboard will give much bigger range of your current kite set.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:06 am

The Cloud is an interesting concept but for me the execution on the finished product is a bit aesthetically underwhelming. That being said there is always a place for utilitarian products at inexpensive pricepoints and I think the 17M certainly could fit into that segment relative to competitor "huge kite" offerings. If I know the kite community well enough I am also certain there are plenty of buyers out there who will find a quirky cool factor in flying a kite that reads so "Local Maui Protoype"

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Aloha wrote:The Cloud is an interesting concept but for me the execution on the finished product is a bit aesthetically underwhelming.
Funny as I just think he really nailed the aesthetics.

But independent from that I would LOVE to try out the cloud 17 one day in marginal winds as I am still in search of a replacement of my 8yo 16 Nemesis. I had the Zephyr but that just failed against the 8 Hello kite in low winds. I could not believe that I spent all that money for a low wind kite which doesnt perform better than the old shit I had.

G

... Get a BIG board first ... you can also ride a door strapless btw. I edge better upwind on the door in low winds when I stand next to the straps right on the board.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:06 pm

I rode a 14 meter LF w/ a combo of TT & surfboard and I weight 150 lbs dry.
If I cannot go upwind w/ that combo, then the wind is too light to launch my kite :-)

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Foilboard and a mid size kite
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com