Almost accident

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Almost accident

Post by manplesvanuatu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 pm

Man when the lines were cut and the kite rocketed towards the golf course.. All I could think at the time was:" please don't let the lines wrapped on a golfer and with the kite powered!"
Man that would be the end of 3rd avenue kite venue.
I am glad no one got hurt!

P

romain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by romain » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 am

I had time to QR and I did it immediately when I saw the kite rolling towards the center of the wind window. The problem was that the kite did not end flagged (at least both the front lines seemed to have tension. It happened to me once at Sherman a few weeks ago, the kite was not de-powering until I could grab the V of the front lines and pull one of them, which would then flip the kite on its leading edge). It could be the cause of the death looping but it went too fast to be certain and I did not have the bar anymore.

Then the leash could not be released by anybody. Some thread was wrapped around the security and it was very tight. I suspect that the looping + the the high tension blew up some of the rubber band and did that. Moreover, it was an handle pass leash, meaning that I could not reach it while being dragged.

Golfers were actually nice, they had time to see it coming and everyone was fine, which was great.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:13 am

There was a thread on kiteforum.com a little while back about this. A guy posted his experience of being dragged backwards by his leash, which was attached to the handle pass loop on his harness. He punched out of his chicken loop, but then got dragged backwards underwater by his safety. He couldn't reach the safety leash to punch out of that too. He drowned and had to be revived. His conclusion was that you should never attach to the handle pass loop, unless you are doing handle passes. Instead, he now attaches to the ring of the handle pass loop on his dominant hand side. Reading it made me rethink what I was doing with my leash...

The thread is here if you want to read it:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2376771

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 pm

I've tried to rescue a north kite this year and could not depower it because the 5th line was wrapped so many times. No one was attached so no one was in danger.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:56 am

ramsey wrote:I've tried to rescue a north kite this year and could not depower it because the 5th line was wrapped so many times. No one was attached so no one was in danger.
It always seems to be the North bar, I hope the new North bars don't have these issues.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com