Cabrinha Customer support = big letdown

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Cabrinha Customer support = big letdown

Post by dwaynej » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Engrish -

Since there are many board riders who do funky tricks without their chicken loops on, the only way to depower using the quick release is to be still attached to the kite (via leash) given your body and the leash will allow you to push out on the quick release, so (IMHO) the statement is factually correct.

Again, IMHO, a lost kite flying downwind (no chicken loop/no leash/no QR thrown) has the potential for the bar to catch on something/someone and do serious damage given front and rear lines are still equal lengths and the bar will be in "full power position when it catches on something. Throwing the 'Stage 2 depower" is the safest for everyone and you need to be connected to the kite via Chicken Loop or Leash for that to happen.

Dwayne
ps.. I know nothing.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:39 pm

le noun wrote:
sanjose_kiter wrote:I switched from Cabrihna to Ozone and had never looked back.
PS: I am not affiliated with Ozone in any way.
I like it when people ask a simple question and other people respond with:" just switch to my brand bro". :mrgreen:
Anyhow... What rob said: go see Ramsey at the lower launch. He will help you. :)
Sorry my bad bro. Anyway, when i had a 2011 Cabrihna with IDS bar, the leash is there to keep the kite from flying away from you in case the chicken loop somehow detached from your harness, i.e doing unhooked tricks ... Even in case where you popped the RED quick release for 100% de-power, you 're still attached to the kite via a single front line attached to the chicken loop. So the manual is correct that the leash is not needed unless you 're riding unhooked.
Anyway, I started to have tendonitis in my left elbow after kiting with Cabrihna for a while because of the heavy bar pressure (2010 & 2011 models). Hopefully the 2014 model is better in that regards. And of course Ozone bar pressure is so light and their kites are so fast it is all together a different level of performance

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:43 am

As I said, 2014 Cab bar is VERY different than before. It's not your regular one release and the other on the leash thing. 2014 Cab moved away from the IDS system. I needed info from someone who knows for real the 2014 Cab bar, Steve clarified it for me.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 am

biba:

glad I could help, but my offer still stands.

would like to make it clear: You NEED to ALWAYS USE YOUR KITE LEASH

also,FYI: regading the bar (safety systems): The QR1 and QR2 on the 2012,2013 and 2014 ALL look and work the same. Prior to that, 2009, 2010, 2011 also had a red push QR1 (yes smaller, but worked the same, and different versions of the QR2 on the depower loop. Looking at the bar only, you can't tell if it's a one line or two line flag system.

Just curious, where did you purchase your 2014? Did the shop go over the safety system with you?
Did they ask if you were familiar? After you read the manual and were confused, did you contact the shop before sending Cabrinha your email?

Again, more than willing to meet with you and go over everything
steve

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 am

That manual excerpt was extremely confusing

There is a certain elegance in simplicity isn't there?

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 am

Steve,

I had no issue with the cab bar though it's first cab I own. I've had regular kites and bars and leash always attached to the depower line it whatever oshit handle.

I had no issues releasing and resetting the cab bar and I was thrilled.

But as a good engineer that I am, I stumble in the leash and the loop attachment that is not attached to any line on cabrinha. And that's where the wtf how this works with the leash popped in my mind. Promptly I reached for the cab bar book and I read:

"The kite leash blah blah is only used if riding unhooked blah"
So I think Ah that makes sense. And then I read on and I get to the highlighter fragment and I totally block on:

"To use stage 2... You MUST have the leash attached"

As an engineer I tried to see wtf, how does the leash enable the stage 2 depower. And clearly there's no mechanical feature if the leash that enables one to quick release lol. And I tied the lines to a tree and I went in to test it lol.

No fault of the shop it's just me being thorough and reading the book.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 am

I was also rather confused when I recently picked up a 2010 Cabrinha IDS bar. Every other brand I've used separates you from the chicken loop when your safety is pulled and flags out on the safety leash, which can then be disconnected as a last resort and your kite flys away. Two big issues seem to be resolved with this system:

The first issue that this system tries to solve is when your safety leash fails and your kite unintentionally gets away from you during a punch out. By having your chicken loop connected to the kite and safety leash connected to the chicken loop, both have to fail before losing the kite but only the chicken loop QR has to be pulled to intentionally ditch it.

The second issue is when you NEED to detach from the kite in an emergency, assuming you've attached your safety leash to the backside of your harness, an out of control kite will drag you backwards. Having the chicken loop act like a safety leash will always pull you from the front and give easier access to that QR on the loop, which will disconnect you from your kite.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I like the 2014 bar.

I would like to know if I can replace the front lines on a 2013 bar with the 2014 lines to get the low v/single like? I will compare the mechanical differences once I get hold of a 2013 bar.

Dwayne

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Dwayne:
yes, that will be possible, however, the parts to accomplish what you want to do will probably not be available on the mainland USA until the end of the year/January 2014.

You will need more than just new center lines:
Although the outside lines for 2013 and 2014 are the same, 22m, the front lines changed from 18.5m to 16m in 2014.
You'll probably also need a new front line bungee as well as a new single line flagging line, although I'm not sure how all this will be packaged.
You can go to Cabrinhakiitess.com and take a look at the spare/replacement parts for the 2014 SBs.
You may also need extensions for your new center lines.
In 2014 Cabrinha changed it's safety system from a 2 front line flagging system to a single front line flagging system requiring all the above changes. You'll be able to fly the new single line flagging system all all 2014 Cabrinha models as well as all previously produced Cabrinha's. However, we do not advise using your two line IDS flagging system on 2014 models
steve

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank you Steve!