Golf bag FTW

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Golf bag FTW

Post by buckidge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:36 am

southwest agent:"sir, is that a board in that bag?"
Me: "no it's golf equipment" (as I turn the bag around and point out the word, 'golf' printed on the outside
Agent:"oh okay. I figured it could have been a board as it was so flat. ... Have a nice trip"

Whoo Hoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 am

Reading their policy it doesn't seem to make a difference what you have in the bag.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer- ... e-pol.html

Maybe he was just being nice and was going to put a fragile sticker on the bag if it was a kiteboard?

Personally I would have a hard time making up a story like this. Imagine your luggage is lost. Now you have to explain to them what's in it to help them find it and or for a claim:

Your claim: "It's a kiteboard and two kites inside a black bag labeled 'golf'"

Claim agent: "Aherm. I see. 'Golf' equipment. We will get right on that for you." Files it at the bottom of the queue.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Re:

Post by kitenaked » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:52 am

tgautier wrote:Reading their policy it doesn't seem to make a difference what you have in the bag.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer- ... e-pol.html

Maybe he was just being nice and was going to put a fragile sticker on the bag if it was a kiteboard?

Personally I would have a hard time making up a story like this. Imagine your luggage is lost. Now you have to explain to them what's in it to help them find it and or for a claim:

Your claim: "It's a kiteboard and two kites inside a black bag labeled 'golf'"

Claim agent: "Aherm. I see. 'Golf' equipment. We will get right on that for you." Files it at the bottom of the queue.

+1 Like

I'm not opposed to saving money, but i'd rather spend my time thinking about good times and vacation vs all the energy put into the golf bag scam.

If they don't ask, great. If they do, I'm not into making up a story or having them ask to open the bag and find boards when I told them it was something else.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Re: Golf bag FTW

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 am

I had a fun time explaining the 'golf bag' concept to Israeli security as they unpacked my kites.

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Southwest is pretty cool, I have taken my board without fins and straps as a carryon on southwest several times and it fits perfectly on the overhead bin.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:36 pm

clints wrote:Southwest is pretty cool, I have taken my board without fins and straps as a carryon on southwest several times and it fits perfectly on the overhead bin.
Brilliant, how come I never thought of that.

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:46 am

Southwest doesn't charge for surfboard bag fees. Can't wait till they start flying to Maui and int egrate AirTran fully for Caribbean and Baja trips.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Pisses me off that just because you playing a boring ass old man sport you can take huge fing bags, but the minute you take sporting equipment for something more exciting you have to pay out your ass. Many BMX'ers take advantage of the gold loophole as well.

Stoked that Virgin doesn't pull this BS with Branson doing all sorts of rad stuff.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:00 pm

I love this topic! Just flew to Maui on Alaska. I've always heard Alaska is more lenient then other airlines. I've had good luck with my "Golf Travel" bag. I even throw one old golf club in there just in case they want proof that I have "golf" equipment. Last time the gal asked if this bag was for a tandem set of clubs and looked over at my wife. I just smiled and said, "It can be!" :^o . LOL!

XZSD -SPD

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 pm

They're "Parachutes" in that bag with all my "golf" stuff... You' know, we're going high up in the air... I *might* need a parachute, right?