No helmet = no launch ?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: No helmet = no launch ?

Post by victor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:30 pm

the 5th dentist recommended you sleep with a tootsie roll clenched in your teeth.

Joey
Joey

Post by 007 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:54 pm

I think this "no helmet, no launch" was posted to get a reaction and it definitely succeeded.

Wow, an earlier post said, "this would be interesting...."

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:19 am

007 wrote:Wow, an earlier post said, "this would be interesting...."
Hahaha, yeah, after 2 years on this forum, I know when somebody is opening a can of worms... :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:09 am

I've been mulling this over.

It has been demonstrated that people wearing pink polka dot wetsuits are less likely to be attacked by great white sharks. Because of this, I've decided that I cannot in good conscience launch anybody at Waddell unless they are properly attired, as I cannot stand the thought that I might be contributing to such a horrible demise. Please don't be a jerk and ask me to violate my strongly held beliefs and conscience in this matter.

I'm not sure about helmets as there is little data about whether sharks care about the extra crunch. For now I'm just going to stick to the wetsuit criteria.

This is, in fact, probably the reason that so many people self-launch at Waddell. They are all trying to commit suicide.

Fortunately to date their success rate is very low, but it is the peak of shark population season and maybe we need to do something.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 pm

"Your Honor and members of the jury, the defendant did knowingly and willfully launch my client's kite in dangerous conditions and a negligent manner that led to injuries that prevent my client from testifying today. However, witnesses will testify that at no time did my client give the universal "thumb up" signal, and that when he was nodding it was to signal the defendant to keep moving upwind before launching. They were immediately upwind of a dangerous obstacle. The defendant should have known better than to launch such an obvious beginner there as my client was, as any experienced kiter would have been wearing a helmet in such gusty conditions..." ;)

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:16 pm

windstoked wrote:"Your Honor and members of the jury, the defendant did knowingly and willfully launch my client's kite in dangerous conditions and a negligent manner that led to injuries that prevent my client from testifying today. However, witnesses will testify that at no time did my client give the universal "thumb up" signal, and that when he was nodding it was to signal the defendant to keep moving upwind before launching. They were immediately upwind of a dangerous obstacle. The defendant should have known better than to launch such an obvious beginner there as my client was, as any experienced kiter would have been wearing a helmet in such gusty conditions..." ;)
Nice job again Windstoked. You are hilarious.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm

No helmet=no landing
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:44 pm

No landing=more kiting
Helmet enforcers=communists
Free country=do your own thing
Helmets=good idea
U dont like the freedom to make decisions for yourself=leave the country and move to a red state

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 pm

I like the analogy with pink polka dot wetsuits . Let me fill in a couple of minor things that are missing to make the analogy more complete.

Great white sharks may attack kitesurfers mistaking them for sea lions. This could occur unexpectedly and very quick. The technique to avoid such an attack is to quickly make a U-turn, gain a fast speed, and jump as high as possible. Everything should happen within 2 seconds at most, and the jump should last no less than 5 seconds.

It has been demonstrated that people wearing pink polka dot wetsuits are less likely to be attacked by great white sharks. Because of this, I've decided that I cannot in good conscience launch anybody at Waddell unless they are properly attired, as I cannot stand the thought that I might be contributing to such a horrible demise. Please don't be a jerk and ask me to violate my strongly held beliefs and conscience in this matter.

Most people take the risk seriously as pink polka dot wetsuits are already very common at Waddell. Yet some people claim that wearing them is not absolutely necessary. They claim that it is more important to know what to do. They believe that 2 seconds is more than enough to react because the reaction time is even shorter when they have to activate a quick release if things suddenly go wrong with the kite. They also claim that they are well aware of all surroundings at any time, and can discern the shark fin from a far. Even among those who ride strapless there are some who do not wear pink polka dot wetsuits. They are well trained to jump for 7 seconds or longer while holding the board in their hands, and this nicely contributes to their overall "cool factor".

I'm not sure about helmets as there is little data about whether sharks care about the extra crunch. For now I'm just going to stick to the wetsuit criteria. Some people might find my ideology similar to communism or nazism that also compelled others to wear pink polka dot wetsuits. Interestingly, the same people also believe that we better leave the country and move to a red state - the ideology not less different.

This is, in fact, probably the reason that so many people self-launch at Waddell. They are all trying to avoid conflict of ideologies. But it is the peak of shark population season and maybe we need to do something, especially in light of the terrible shark attack that occurred at Waddell earlier this month with the guy whose wetsuit was black...

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:24 pm

i'm so annoyed that i actually read all of that

i want my time back