Be careful with boats

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Joey
Joey
Re: Be careful with boats

Post by 007 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Interesting that the serious kite incidents that have happened in the last few years have all involved experienced kiters.

mas75
Joey
Joey

Post by mas75 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 pm

kiting is like any other sport...there's idiots who get hurt or hurt people...c'est la vie...sucks if you're involved..and if I were Sandy I'd be rightly annoyed...but they'll always be out there, that's just the way it goes.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:21 pm

This kiter is STUPID with a capital S. Try to thread between 2 moving boats instead of stopping in the water or make a sliding turn around and ride away.
Jumping over some stranger boat ??? WTF was he thinking in that little brain ???
That 's all I can say.
I think it ranked way up there with the same incident where some a..hole knocked the wind sensor out of action @ Crissy field.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 pm

sanjose_kiter wrote:This kiter is STUPID with a capital S. Try to thread between 2 moving boats instead of stopping in the water or make a sliding turn around and ride away.
Jumping over some stranger boat ??? WTF was he thinking in that little brain ???
That 's all I can say.
I think it ranked way up there with the same incident where some a..hole knocked the wind sensor out of action @ Crissy field.
The original poster who made this error in judgment started this thread on the forum to apologize and will probably be more careful in the future.

There have been two incidents of the sensor at Anita rock being taken out by a kite boarder.

The first happened several years ago and that was a very skilled kite boarder needing an eye exam.

This year a fellow on a 13 m kite took it out when it was 8 m conditions, and he was more like Elmer Fudd goes kite boarding and was out of his depth and had quite a scare being wrapped up in his lines and drifting towards angel island in the shipping channel, and being rescued by the Coast Guard.

I previously posted this Coast guard letter http://www.scribd.com/doc/138553396/MSI ... yak-Safety that came out in April, the back ground story is that three significant incidents that could not be ignored, two involved kite boarders and one a Stand Up paddle boarder. One of those incidents did happen off Crissy Field when a kite boarder with a severe case of "look at me" jumped to close to a very large tour boat and hung it on there radar mast and swept there deck with kite lines and the kite boarder being drug under water for some distance before the boat could stop. The Coast Guard was involved and was reported as a significant incident in the Coast Guards monthly report to the Captain of the Port.

Most on the beach say "so what if he does it again", some have complained to me, because he still is kooking it very close to the tour boats showing off.

Rules are made when enough complaints or incidents are noted.

Check this out from the Coast Guard and the Oregon department of boating, I do not know if this is being enforced in Oregon because it is from 2007.

It was a result of complaints from boaters about kite boarders.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/168612071/CG- ... teboarding

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 am

I would probably say that the topic title of this thread is an understatement to be sure but despite his error, he deserves some credit for his post. He admitted his error, expressed concern about the kiter student in the boat who was fortunately (for all parties) wearing a helmet, followed up with the student to check in on their well-being and beyond that, what can you do? Learn from and don't be that guy...

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 am

I agree with Ollie, he made a bad judgement call going between two boats but based on his comment he will never do it again, he appears very sorry. I hate it when when we get a kiter at 3rd who makes a bad judgement and causes an incident then have an attitude when we have a talk with him about it. I did say "he" because I never had any issues with women. :-)
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 am

I think it speaks volumes that he stepped up, came forward and honestly started this thread...

When you screw up and know it, it takes even more balls to admit it publicly. Good on ya for that...

Kirk out

donnykitopia
Joey
Joey

Post by donnykitopia » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 am

This has turned in to a useful post. I'm so glad he made this post. It shows respect for the community of kiters.
I'm sure that most of us have had that split second hero moment that has gone wrong.
For me the best one ended layed up for three months with a broken ankle (camera on scene)
Another good one was jumping over Sandys down kite. All most made it. Oops (camera also there)
Oh tooo windy everyone sitting out. Ended with me body dragging in with broken knee. (No camera).
So I'm far from throwing stones at any kiters being bad.
We need to think before we act, and show respect to others using the water ways. Yes the guys fishing too.

Speaking of respect... has anyone noticed the coat guard lately? They seem to be driving super fast down the channel and close to down kiters??? And Other boats near the channel.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Be careful with boats

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am

JRaut wrote:
etxxz wrote:i'm no maritime police but i think kiter had the right of way even in this case of towing and decrease maneuverability.
A vessel with more maneuverability must always give way to a vessel with restricted maneuverability. No matter the method of propulsion.

The kiter was in the wrong. And he admitted it.

J
+2. Most maneuverable craft....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm kinda surprised someone would even suggest the kiter may have had the right of way...

Thanks Tony Soprano for the link to the CG ruling and OR inquiry. Yes, Gorge 'boaters' (basically, barge pilots, some vocal sailboaters) are not big fans of kiteboarding as they see even more dangerous behavior from kiteboarders than windsurfers. My place is over a mile away from the river but I can always tell from their horn blasts when someone's being stupid.

Kudos to the OP for manning up and saying "I f'ed up." Sadly I've seen this situation before.

And of course I can't resist re-posting the following infamous episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UDZYcJil6o[/video]