Be careful with boats

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
donnykitopia
Joey
Joey
Re: Be careful with boats

Post by donnykitopia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Why take a chance going in front of a boat, why challenge a boat. All we are doing is making the other boaters out there hate us. I hear from my fishing buddy's they're afraid to take there boat out through that cut, because of the damn kiters. How about giving them the right away and a friendly wave.
FYI the water there is swallow and they sometimes can't change course that gives them right away. Over a sailor with zero draft. Pls look it up.
Donny

skysalr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skysalr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:53 pm

No, you don't deserve it. You should have stopped or, better, you should never have even 'thought' it would be acceptable to ride between 2 boats (moving or otherwise).

I hope that the Coastguard will get involved with Sherman and all other local sites. Clearly there are a large and increasing number of kiteboarders who believe that they can do anything they want and that they have no responsibility to anyone (even themselves). The authorities will put an end to those beliefs, even if they have to shut us all down. Would I be upset? Your damned straight I would, but even one more stupid incident like this is unacceptable.

There is an alternative to bringing in the Coastguard. We organize into local SFBA chapters, institute local rules, educate the public on what those rules are, and suspend riders who choose not to follow them. It is called 'self regulation' and it has been around a long, long time. We have a choice: wait for someone to get killed, or do something about it.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Kitopia wrote:I also gotta ask since when was it necessary for a fisherman to wear a helmet while fishing??? Recreational boaters should not need to wear helmets if they are following the boating laws.
It's not necessary, it's just a joke that has to do with another thread.
Glad to hear the girl is OK.
Stupid accident that could have definitely been avoided.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Kitopia wrote: I also gotta ask since when was it necessary for a fisherman to wear a helmet while fishing??? Recreational boaters should not need to wear helmets if they are following the boating laws.
Those guys were just joking about non kiters needing helmets. It was a reference to another posting where a kiter insisted that kiters who don't wear helmets should not be launched. In this particular instance, I think the joking is in bad taste. But that's just my opinion.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 pm

I take my boat to sherm a few times a year and some knuckle head always wants to play chicken and charge at me. Might has right, i always move but if i see some boat coming twords me when i kite i get the hell away. I saw a very skilled kiter (lucky he had a helmet and impact vest) try to jump another kiters wake board boat and slamed into the wake tower. he kinda slid into the water and rode away. Boats and fisherman have been there way before kiters. Kitopia was trying to help somebody, then this happens {}[]
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm

i'm no maritime police but i think kiter had the right of way even in this case of towing and decrease maneuverability, but i agree with you though. You can be right, but you can also be dead. We can change course pretty easily and that's all that mattered.

The incident was lacking of common sense. There is no question and God saved the life of that girl. May it be a lesson to both boaters and kiters (specially)

however i don't agree with Skysalsa that you have bring in even more stupidier authorities to destroy the sport, or the spot in particular. Threads like this help us self regulate and we are actually doing a good job. Incidents happens in everything in life, some people just freak out at accidents cause they heard it on Fox News and use it as catalyst for irrational actions like arguing about requiring helmets. Focus on the improvements and good that has happened this season. We, as a community, have actually united and became much more pro-active about ours and other's safety. No law or authority is going to keep a person from getting lofted into rocks and nearly killing themselves. Can't baby proof life.

Anyways, shame on you frenchie. On his defence he's actually a good and pretty smart person.. he just made a bad decision. Good for you that you wrote this thread and are keeping in touch with the injured, kitetopia for damaging their boat etc. Hope all ends well. Share the stoke. Live and learn.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Some people have severe cases of " look at me"

http://sfba.org/index.php/news-events/1 ... y-bulletin
Last edited by Tony Soprano on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skysalr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skysalr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:31 pm

I didn't say that we should bring in the authorities. I said that they might show up. My proposal has always been that we should self regulate. By that I do 'not' mean that we should yak about things and do nothing.

If the kiter who started this thread, and who made the original call, forever changes his behavior because he might have killed someone, that is of course a good thing, but it would have absolutely no bearing on the antics of others. I for one am not willing to wait for every near-death incident by some thoughtless person with the 'hope' that it might change the behavior of one person.

JRaut
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JRaut » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 pm

etxxz wrote:i'm no maritime police but i think kiter had the right of way even in this case of towing and decrease maneuverability.
A vessel with more maneuverability must always give way to a vessel with restricted maneuverability. No matter the method of propulsion.

The kiter was in the wrong. And he admitted it.

J

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 pm

JRaut wrote:
etxxz wrote:i'm no maritime police but i think kiter had the right of way even in this case of towing and decrease maneuverability.
A vessel with more maneuverability must always give way to a vessel with restricted maneuverability. No matter the method of propulsion.

The kiter was in the wrong. And he admitted it.

J

+1
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils