No helmet = no launch ?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: No helmet = no launch ?

Post by windstoked » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 am

My kiting access concerns are raised when I hear about bad accidents, especially with head injuries that are a leading cause for long term nursing home care and the associated liability costs.
Hopefully we won't soon be facing an access loss where we all wish we had voluntarily agreed to enforce a helmet guideline for our favorite local site.

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 am

windstoked wrote:My kiting access concerns are raised when I hear about bad accidents, especially with head injuries that are a leading cause for long term nursing home care and the associated liability costs.
Hopefully we won't soon be facing an access loss where we all wish we had voluntarily agreed to enforce a helmet guideline for our favorite local site.
That's just dumb. What if someone drowns? Should we all wear PFDs just in case? And how are you going to enforce this "voluntary" ban? I'm not going along with it - are you going to threaten me with violence? (That's how law enforcement works). Did kites get banned from Ocean Beach after that guy died there a few years ago? (No, they did not). You've got a bad case of internal policeman. You will oppress yourself before the authorities get around to it. The biggest risk for access is kiters hurting innocent bystanders. It is assumed that if you go kiting, you accept the risks. But if a kiter drops a kite onto a picnic full of little kids, then we have a real problem.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am

When is WindMuch going to close this topic as "Not constructive" ? :D

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am

biba wrote:When is WindMuch going to close this topic as "Not constructive" ? :D
It's sooooo entertaining though!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

btahoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by btahoe » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

What about helmet rack near the shore to place helmet after a successful launch.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Season must be coming to an end.....a lot more activity on BAK...
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 pm

kitenaked wrote:Season must be coming to an end.....a lot more activity on BAK...
Sadly... {}[]
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Thor29 wrote:...The biggest risk for access is kiters hurting innocent bystanders. It is assumed that if you go kiting, you accept the risks...
Well I'm not as wise as the lawyer guys, but I'm not so sure injuries a kiter incurs at a public launch isn't a potential liability issue issue for the public entity involved. Therefore, I believe it is also a potential access issue.
I do agree with you that we accept the risks, and that not only includes risks incurred kiting but also launching and landing others. I would be nervous if someone I launched sustained a serious injury soon after launching, especially if it resulted in permanent brain damage.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Oh God, i will prepare a waiver release to sign on the spot should someone ask me to launch them +*!@

Bad launch is not the liability of the launcher, but of the kiter because you are in control of the kite. And, if in doubt, reach back and QR. America got really twisted here.

As they teach you at any kiting school: it is the responsibility of the kiter to ensure that your assistant knows what s/he is supposed to do, including not throwing kites in the air at Upper launch :D. Launching means merely holding the kite for you to pull up in the air.

:P