3rd Ave Improvements

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
steve
Regular
Regular
3rd Ave Improvements

Post by steve » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:37 pm

just thought I would bring everyone up to speed on the improvement planned for the 3rd Ave lower launch and parking area,

The Foster City Parks and recreation has secured $361K to enhance the location. Several of the users (kiters/windsurfer) have been providing the City input, ideas, suggestions, for what is needed and prioritization. If you didn't know the City of foster City has an extensive network of parks...all excellent and well maintained.

1) City plans to finalize the overall design and specifications in about three weeks
2) they plan to obtain City Council approval for their plan at the Nov meeting. they have already been working with BCDC and others to make sure their plan will be accepted.
3) the current plan is to totally regrade the area for proper drainage and installation of
a) new rigging area with artificial turf where the current windsurf/kite staging area exists
b) new rigging area with artificial turf between the fence and pedway (Bay Trail) starting at the end of the black top parking area towards E 3rd Ave where Leo usually parks
c) new full functioning bathroom, changing area/ and shower at the inside corner where Lakeside Dr and the paved parking lot intersect. If the elevation is not sufficient at that location (their first choice) then this facility will be moved up Lakeside dr on the dirt side of the road..about 1/3 of the way up from the corner
d)All old fencing will be removed and replaced with powder coated metal fencing. Openings in the fencing are not finalized
e) new concrete and powdered coated picnic tables, benches will be installed
f) new signage to be installed in appropriate locations providing emergency call #, acceptable speed on the pedway, etc. Location and signage not finalized at this point
g) lighting for the bathroom may be solar
H) a small bleacher may be installed on small hill between the rigging area and the golf course fence for observation
I) garbage/recology locations to be finalized. There will be the addition of the larger type bin(s)...we do our best to provide bottle and cans for recycling efforts
4) The timeline for the awarding of construction contracts is February 2014
5) The timeline for construction is March-May. We don't know if the entire area will be closed for parking during this timeframe...more to come
6) new access for the Fire Dept will be created. Currently the idea is that it would start at the current gate near E 3rd ave (end of the dead end dirt area where those who use the lower launch park). This access will provide the fire Dept a straight shop to the ramp at the lower launch. This may or may not cause the loss of of few parking spots. There is also the possibility that the Fire Dept may reclaim this entire access road by eliminating parking along the fence closest to the path (Bay Trail)
7) the parking area will be repaved and re-striped, and hopefully Lakeside Dr as well (I think they sd that)

That's all i know about the project. I'll keep you posted as i know more. There are others who have attended meetings, so if I left something out, got something wrong, please make additions/corrections.

It is my opinion as a long time user of the location, and resident of Foster City...this is going to be a VERY NICE addition/improvement. Yes, some or all us may be inconvenience...but in the scheme of things, so what.
steve

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re: 3rd Ave Improvements

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:03 pm

This is all good news--thanks for posting.

As there any discussion about improving the upper launch? It appears we're going to lose it to erosion within a few years if nothing changes.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm

What?!??! No slider park and break wall for flat water? ^^^

Sounds like great improvements. Can't wait to see it all.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 pm

That was meant to be a smiley face.... :::) :::) :::) FAIL

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes and no intention to fix the upper launch. I was in contact with them as well.

Anyhow. Can you please make sure they plan to do the rework over the winter when no one really cares if they rip everything up. Not during the summer like at Coyote point !!!!

G

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 pm

nick:
the erosion mitigation is outside this scope of this project and the available of grant money.

mitigation of erosion will need to be a "new" effort...SFBA and BCDC contacts are well aware of the erosion issue. Think the community will need to make a new and stronger push.
steve

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Wow, congratulations, sounds like some great improvements are in store... =-

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 pm

don't know. Some of it sounds nice some of it makes me real nervous. I don't really care about new pavement and park benches and stuff like that. But I care a lot if the upper launch is going away. I also really don't like the news that we might not be able to use the parking area to kite next spring. I mean really? And usually what ever they say how long it will take, it will take twice as long... And why do we need a fire truck route other than what we already have? What is the obsession in this country with the fire fighters.... when it comes to water rescue they are pretty useless anyway (in contrast to the coast guard - those guys rock!!). What we really need is a lots of parking spaces, not more space for the Foster City fire department. Don't know, I don;t want to sound all pessimistic, but some of this makes me nervous...

skysalr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skysalr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:49 am

There are many people who are 'nervous' about these improvements. That is fine. They can continue to use 3rd or go to other sites. The fact of the matter is that this is Foster City turf and they are embarrassed with 3rd Ave because it is a dirty mess and represents the city. They probably feel fortunate that these funds dropped into their lap because the city can now 'rehabilitate' 3rd as a city park, up to their standards, and can then be proud of and boast about it. I happen to agree. I am very pleased with the improvements that Steve reported on. Several of us have been involved with the city since before they got the funding. Others have sat back and complained about the whole process. It is easy to complain. It takes almost no effort. It is harder to think about what the city needs and wants, and what the community might benefit from, and make suggestions and negotiate plans. It takes time and effort. For those who complain, it is probably wise to remember this because those doing the work don't have a huge respect for those who don't (and vice versa, obviously). The way I see it, you can be part of making the place better, or you can sit back and moan about it.

We are trying to make recommendations to get the best and minimal signage possible while keeping the signage clear and enforceable. It is a big challenge. We have safety issues with bicyclist traffic and fishermen. We have people stopping to watch in dangerous areas. We have golf balls flying through the air. Every group has a right to use the area, but we need for them, and us, to try to work together to improve safety and enjoyment for all. I get as angry about things as anyone else, so I am not always the best person to negotiate these things, and that is why we need to have a variety of contributors to the process. Luckily we do.

As for the construction schedule, we cannot be more emphatic that we want them to do construction in the off season than we have been. The city puts out bids and then contractors do the work. The city has repeatedly said that they will do what they can to mitigate the impact on the community, but we should be looking for ways to deal with a possible shutdown of the parking areas in the event that it happens anyway.

As for the north end, it is special because it is clearly in BCDC-controlled land and we have been told that no improvements can be made there. Our big concern, of course, is erosion. I have contacted the BCDC on several occasions to remind them that they are responsible for the breakwater and its maintenance, and that the erosion problem is a direct result of the need for breakwater maintenance. They have ignored my suggestions.

One of the things the city wants to do is to provide some picnic tables. I suggested that we think about a permanent bbq grill. They asked where we would put these things. I suggested, just yesterday, that we clear an area between the parking lot and the golf course and put tables and grills in there. There are some good reasons for this: (1) safest spot wrt flying golf balls, (2) the city has an easement here, (3) it is out of the way of cars and traffic, (4) easy access to where coolers would be, (5) provide a thoroughfare to the rigging areas that isn't in the parking lot, (6) we frequently bbq and set up tables in the parking lot already and this is the best/closest area, (7) it isn't currently being used, (8) it would be inexpensive, and (9) it would be out of the wind so it might actually be pleasant to sit there. The downside, of course, is that you have a view of cars and people changing clothes. Like we haven't learned to deal with that.

Just my two cents...

Jack

skysalr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skysalr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 am

There are many people who are 'nervous' about these improvements. That is fine. They can continue to use 3rd or go to other sites. The fact of the matter is that this is Foster City turf and they are embarrassed with 3rd Ave because it is a dirty mess and represents the city. They probably feel fortunate that these funds dropped into their lap because the city can now 'rehabilitate' 3rd as a city park, up to their standards, and can then be proud of and boast about it. I happen to agree. I am very pleased with the improvements that Steve reported on. Several of us have been involved with the city since before they got the funding. Others have sat back and complained about the whole process. It is easy to complain. It takes almost no effort. It is harder to think about what the city needs and wants, and what the community might benefit from, and make suggestions and negotiate plans. It takes time and effort. For those who complain, it is probably wise to remember this because those doing the work don't have a huge respect for those who don't (and vice versa, obviously). The way I see it, you can be part of making the place better, or you can sit back and moan about it.

We are trying to make recommendations to get the best and minimal signage possible while keeping the signage clear and enforceable. It is a big challenge. We have safety issues with bicyclist traffic and fishermen. We have people stopping to watch in dangerous areas. We have golf balls flying through the air. Every group has a right to use the area, but we need for them, and us, to try to work together to improve safety and enjoyment for all. I get as angry about things as anyone else, so I am not always the best person to negotiate these things, and that is why we need to have a variety of contributors to the process. Luckily we do.

As for the construction schedule, we cannot be more emphatic that we want them to do construction in the off season than we have been. The city puts out bids and then contractors do the work. The city has repeatedly said that they will do what they can to mitigate the impact on the community, but we should be looking for ways to deal with a possible shutdown of the parking areas in the event that it happens anyway.

As for the north end, it is special because it is clearly in BCDC-controlled land and we have been told that no improvements can be made there. Our big concern, of course, is erosion. I have contacted the BCDC on several occasions to remind them that they are responsible for the breakwater and its maintenance, and that the erosion problem is a direct result of the need for breakwater maintenance. They have ignored my suggestions.

One of the things the city wants to do is to provide some picnic tables. I suggested that we think about a permanent bbq grill. They asked where we would put these things. I suggested, just yesterday, that we clear an area between the parking lot and the golf course and put tables and grills in there. There are some good reasons for this: (1) safest spot wrt flying golf balls, (2) the city has an easement here, (3) it is out of the way of cars and traffic, (4) easy access to where coolers would be, (5) provide a thoroughfare to the rigging areas that isn't in the parking lot, (6) we frequently bbq and set up tables in the parking lot already and this is the best/closest area, (7) it isn't currently being used, (8) it would be inexpensive, and (9) it would be out of the wind so it might actually be pleasant to sit there. The downside, of course, is that you have a view of cars and people changing clothes. Like we haven't learned to deal with that.

Just my two cents...

Jack