Maui trip booked!

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
Maui trip booked!

Post by jwest21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:58 pm

My girl and I are booked for a trip to Maui in early-mid Nobemeber! Heading there to visit my mom and hoping to luck out on some late season winds. Grew up on the big island but haven't been back in over a decade; when my mom moved to Maui earlier this year, I knew it was time for a visit.

Anyway, I'm planning to pack up two kites and gear, then rent a board there or just buy a cheap-o board off Craigslist to keep at mom's place. I'm thinking the 7-9m (150lb and may have a floaty surfboard) will be best as I'd probably just consider other activities once it hit 12m speeds (also understand those can be flukey). If it pushes more south and ends up blowing at Kihei, what kind of difficulty is this site? I'm an okay (read out of practice) surfer but still haven't moved to the waves with a kite yet so not planning on attempting anything more than waist high swells. Also, any good suggestions for BnBs, hotels or cheap rental cars would greatly be appreciated.

So excited!!!
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Re: Maui trip booked!

Post by Sonny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:08 pm

I might see you there, I wish my parents live there.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

mikecim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikecim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Have a great trip =-

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm

Sonny wrote:I might see you there, I wish my parents live there.
Nice! My trip is 11/8-17 unless I decide to take a few days to visit my home island. I'm also really hopeful that it'll time out that my mom's halau will have a luau during my visit. I need me some true kalua pig.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Related question: I'm thinking about going there end of November and early Dec. What percentage of kiteable days can I expect? I read somewhere that November is the best compromise between good waves/wind. True?

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:26 pm

TomAUSTRIA wrote:Related question: I'm thinking about going there end of November and early Dec. What percentage of kiteable days can I expect? I read somewhere that November is the best compromise between good waves/wind. True?
As far as my research shows, it's somewhere around 50% rideable days averaging around 15+ knots in November. Looking at windalert's archival history seems to show even more than that (actually seems better than October or September) but not sure how valid that is. Mostly seems to be off for several days then on again for several days. Looking at both 2012 and 2011 shows it rideable every day between the dates I'll be there so hopeful the trend continues.

— Albert Einstein

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Have fun. I was there late Nov last year and wind was hit or miss. Maybe 50% but had to work for it with lots of driving

On a budget? (Shoestring budget)
Kimo's rental cars
Rainbow surf hostel

Hungry after a session at kite beach? While foods buffet delivers.

Also don't miss the Sunday afternoon party at little beach... Quite the scene

As for kiting on the south shore. Sunset beach at waipuilani park is the place. Tricky launch among trees but still manageable. Wind might be slight side-off but ppl still going out.

Further south your likely to have oneuli beach to yourself with good side on wind but scary rocks further downwind so don't wreck there.

Bring all your kites you can so if all you see are 12m days you won't be skunked. I was mostly 11.5- 9m with a lil bit of 7.5m.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Oh yeah and treat every where you park your car like a its the toll plaza thefts are pretty prevalent

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks for the info, Nick. I am quite familiar with the break-in risk as it was still very much and issue even when I lived there. Had a friend get her car broken into, not for the change in the center console, not for the iPod in the glove box, but for the half drank monster in the cup holder. :?

Not going to bring the 12m unless it works out that I won't need to check another bag to do so. It's not a kite trip, it's a visit Mom and show the girl Hawaii trip, so I don't really expect to get out more than a couple days and may not even get out at all— I'm a-okay with just laying on the beach drinking fruity cocktails with pineapple slices in them.

— Albert Einstein

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:36 am

I have a 136 wainman joke on the island ur more than welcome to use. I have a small storage unit. Avoid the baggage fees. Hawaiian has been ok on golf bags in oak, but i got dinged 100 bucks for having a board the last 2 trips at (ogg) kahului. Id be open to letting u use a 5'9" wainman magnum too if u bring it out there and leave it in the storage unit. Ill be there in december.