Surfboard fins

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Surfboard fins

Post by drroc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:27 am

Sandman_510 wrote:the size and shape of fin is huge in determining how turny or pointy your ride will be.

For bigger fins you need better construction to handle the load

Don't believe me, just look at the fins the formula guys ride and compare to the fins on a kite surfboard...

I'm surprised there aren't more fin sizes available for kite surfboards. I'd like to have a 6" fin to swap for my 4" center fin when the wind is light
Yeah, I was also thinking along the lines of changing the shape to make the board more drifty depending on the wave size and wind speed.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:02 am

I was riding at Stinson and did an upwind tack on the inside, when I stomped the turn the center fin on my tri hit the sand and snapped off... I kept riding and it loosened up my board dramatically... made it feel really skatey and fast, not good for big bottom turns but was awesome for being on the wave, surfing, lip smashing, and barrel riding (by this I mean riding on top of the barrel). It didn't seem to change the upwind efficiency either, just had to ride the edge a little more and keep it pointed in the right direction.

I've heard of people removing the center fin on purpose to get this effect. I slapped on a cheapo future and can't feel a difference between that and the high quality stock fins... anyone that wants to feel a major difference should remove that fin and try it. Not good for OB or big surf but awesome for knee-slappers.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surfboard fins

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:57 am

Yep....changing fin size or configuration will change performance. fiberglass vs. plastic...not so much in the sizes we ride.

As for the race guys, yep, they ride super stiff glass fins, but consider for a minute that they are like 16+ inches long but not all that wide. A plastic fin would deform in that configuration enough to matter to a racer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surfboard fins

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 am

p.s. NCK, riding the 'top' of the barrel is called a floater. Super fun when you have the speed!!

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:08 pm

sc-surfer wrote: As for the race guys, yep, they ride super stiff glass fins, but consider for a minute that they are like 16+ inches long but not all that wide.
That reminds me of a story I heared while kiting in Belmot. I talked to a dude who had a race board, and people commented on the size of his fins. The guy then proceeded to tell a story how his friend jumped a race board and then landed on the fin with his ass. The guy almost died from loosing too much blood...

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Grew up surfing. Fins particularly glass on fins can make a huge difference. Look at pros who travel with glassed fin boards. I have a pair of bamboo fins from 101fin and really like the feel when surfing. Kiting I tend to notice fins less but surfing definitely makes a difference.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surfboard fins

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:57 am

Nxnwsurfer wrote:Grew up surfing. Fins particularly glass on fins can make a huge difference. Look at pros who travel with glassed fin boards. I have a pair of bamboo fins from 101fin and really like the feel when surfing. Kiting I tend to notice fins less but surfing definitely makes a difference.

That's totally counterintuitive. As speed increases the effect of the foil increases (I believe it's an exponential increase). At the low speeds of surfing, 'most' of the effect you will feel is based on total fin area and location. The fin cluster has a number of variables we can play with:

Center fin distance from the tail,
Side fins distance from tail
Side fins TE distance from rail
Side fin cant angle
Side fin toe in angle
Fin size and shape, base area vs tip etc...
Fin rake
Fin foil

That's a lot of variables. They al have WAY more impact than plastic vs. glass vs. glass on.

Same board, same fin locations, same fin profile will feel the same in a glass on or cheapo plastic.

...just say'n...

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am

I have a few old sets of plastic fins i will trade for $100 dollar fiberglass fins :::)
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:53 am

Rusty breakdown on different fins (shaped enough boards to know):

http://www.surfline.com/blogs/talking-d ... fin_39665/

@ sc-surfer: Agreed the science would dictate that but given my avg ability kiting waves relative to years surfing personally just tend to notice more on cutback. Kiting for me in waves is more down the line and harder to tell flex/stiffness of the fin. My 2 cents. I'm sure caution crew pushing turns enough to notice plenty.