Surf now, kite later...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Roosterfish
Contributor
Contributor
Surf now, kite later...

Post by Roosterfish » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Hey guys! Any recommendations on a board that I can surf with right now while I'm learning to kite and eventually kite on when I'm good enough to hit the waves? I'm 6'2" ~ 180lbs and I'd mostly be riding local around the Bay Area. I have some surfing experience but would like to improve, plus it will give me something fun to do when the wind shuts down.
Thanks!
C

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Surf now, kite later...

Post by le noun » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm gonna let the pro out there pitch in, but I think unless you are good enough to ride really short boards while surfing (5'6 to 6'2) it would be tough...
I don't see riding a 7'0 or 8'0 super wide board being fun with a kite.
Also, if I'm not mistaking, volume is a lot more important on an actual surfboard since you are paddling.
Kite specific board are usual thinner since you don't need as much flotation.
Again, not a pro. So I'm sure people who do both will be able to give you better info. :wink:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Roosterfish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roosterfish » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Just to clarify...

I have a 7'10" surfboard that I learned on and I still use. I'm sort of thinking about this for further down the road. I see myself kiting more than surfing, but it would be nice to have a board I could paddle out on and travel with.

Thanks,

C

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm

for you anything around 6 foot will work + or - a few inches depending on thickness. i'm about your weight and my go-to board for both options is a 6'2" thruster; ~20" wide at the hips and tapering from about 1.5" thick in the middle to 1" on the ends. a short, thick stubby design. it's not a kite board; IMO kite specific surf boards are way over priced. it's just a regular poly board made for surfing and i love it for riding free or under a kite.

also, why wait? go get one and start riding on small days if that's what you want to learn.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm

For dualie the general formula is to find the shortest and leanest board that you can still catch waves in most conditions on - It will depend on your surf skill, level of conditioning and body weight. You might be able to get away with PU but I would find a Tuflite if you can

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surf now, kite later...

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 am

My go to 'dualie' is a 6'2" Firewire surfboard with one extra layer of 6oz glass on the deck. It surfs great (obviously) and on the kite it works really well too. With the extra layer of glass and the super strong Firewire construction I have no heel dents even after boosting little strapless airs on it.
Just watch craigslist for used boards. Got the last one for $200 with a really nice Dakine travel bag!! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by rowboat » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 am

@Roosterfish - I have a Sunova 6'3" that might do the trick for you -- very surfable and kiteable:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... ad_id=1766
-- Lose the Handles

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surf now, kite later...

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am

rowboat wrote:@Roosterfish - I have a Sunova 6'3" that might do the trick for you -- very surfable and kiteable:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... ad_id=1766

There ya go...

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 am

Don't do that. I'd recommend you kept your titanic for surfing until you're good enough to move to a smaller board and get a separate shortboard for kiting.

Even if you wanted a shortboard for surfing NOW then you want something stubby, wide and thick. For you I'd say 5'11'-6'3" 22-20" wide, 2.75"+ thick with a very stubby shape and not much rocker (flatter), or fish shape. There's nothing more disappointing than spending hours in the water without being able to catch a wave. "Flat" it'll still make all the drops.

This board above is 18.5" wide, 2.25" thick. It might make a good kiteboard, but i wouldn't surf it (i'm no kelly slater either). Had one like it. Hella unstable sold it right away. For learning to surf you need stability (width) and volume under your chest (not necessarily length). You can almost kite on anything. Kite your titanic : P

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Surf now, kite later...

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:56 am

etxxz wrote:Don't do that. I'd recommend you kept your titanic for surfing until you're good enough to move to a smaller board and get a separate shortboard for kiting.

Even if you wanted a shortboard for surfing NOW then you want something stubby, wide and thick. For you I'd say 5'11'-6'3" 22-20" wide, 2.75"+ thick with a very stubby shape and not much rocker (flatter), or fish shape. There's nothing more disappointing than spending hours in the water without being able to catch a wave. "Flat" it'll still make all the drops.

This board above is 18.5" wide, 2.25" thick. It might make a good kiteboard, but i wouldn't surf it (i'm no kelly slater either). Had one like it. Hella unstable sold it right away. For learning to surf you need stability (width) and volume under your chest (not necessarily length). You can almost kite on anything. Kite your titanic : P

I have to respectfully disagree...

Kiting a titanic isn't fun. You will have way more fun on a smaller board. Bigger boards don't handle the speeds of kiting very well. Get a smaller board that will kite well and you can learn to surf on it. Surfing a smaller board is just a matter of making the effort and putting in your time. You will appreciate it when you do.

I'm not suggesting a super small board but anything around 6' is great.