Sherman and the Jet Skis

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident
Sherman and the Jet Skis

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am

Finally made it up to Sherman this season for an epic weekend of kiting!! Saturday afternoon was amazing as well as Sunday's dawn patrol...

The jet ski madness on the other hand was unreal, I've heard about this shit... A group of delta locals had parked their boat on the upper island and were terrorizing the kiters on their skis. It was a father son combo, the kid must of only been 13 years old and the two of them decided they were going to hold their ground and play chicken with the kiters. The face on the kid was pure aggression, egged on by his "adult" father they continued to dangerously aim their skis and drive head on with us every single tack. After three or four tacks it became obvious that this was 100% intentional and they even seemed to have little meeting to decide who to go after etc... I was slightly distracted by their big fake breasted mother on the beach when my buddy told me one of them was inches from clipping me from behind.

I admit I dipped my kite at them as two of them aimed directly at me and I didn't raise my lines forcing them to bear off their tack... They did seem to understand that they were going to get fucked up if they hit the lines. This made the problem way worse, they were all over me for a few tacks and were hunting me down... however they wouldn't follow me into the seaweed... intelligent rednecks. I'm not proud of that but I'm also a fighter when it comes to shit like this.

Anyways sorry for anyone who has to deal with that shit, ridiculous. Also I know I shouldn't of egged them on but it is what it is.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

steve
Regular
Regular

Re: Sherman and the Jet Skis

Post by steve » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm

would have been easier to just kite somewhere else..plenty of room. And then a call to the Coast Guard would have also been helpful
steve

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Tony Soprano wrote:http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/J ... 726265.php

Jet ski crash in delta kills rider
If that's the picture of him its not them thankfully. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX

NorthCoastKiter -

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:47 pm

I was riding up at the 2nd Island on Saturday and noticed a kid messing up the flat water behind the island with a jet ski. I just ignored him and went about my normal business kiting behind the island. After a short time, he parked his jet ski and he and his family just sat on the island watching and hanging out. No confrontation, no stink eye, nothing. Maybe I'm just boring......

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I have seen many jet skis and boats and never had any issues last four weekends. When I was at the second island on Saturday, they seemed to be little worried about kiters and were very careful when they were near the island. I didn't want to worry them so I stayed away and kited near the first island.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

I wouldn't say they were aggressive, not to me at least, they just seemed like they were having a good time out on the river like everybody else. If I felt it was too crowded, as it's been a few times, I'd just go somewhere else and throw my yardsales in front of the beach as usual :).

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 pm

I was all good with it too until they came within inches of clipping me from behind and then duel chickened me splitting my tack three feet on each side, next tack they did it again so I dipped my kite.. trust me I wasn't sticking around trying to mess with these tools, I took off and came back later... just shocking to me, skis can be super dangerous.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX

NorthCoastKiter -

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Yeah, I know who you were talking about. Young kid throwing roost in the butter at the 2nd island. I just kept jumping over him and figured if he did anything aggressive I would happily call the coast guard on them. He kinda seemed to get close but would back off if I headed straight at him.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Coast guard wont go in the lake, they will tell you to call sheriff, Then they would probally tell the jetski kid to stay 100 feet away from you and kiters to stay 100feet from there swiming beach. first island was more fun they had free beer! SS$$
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils