Any opinion on Naish Ride 12 meter kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Any opinion on Naish Ride 12 meter kite

Post by sanjose_kiter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Gals & Girls

Any riders out there with hand-on experience on the Naish Ride, either 10 meter or 12 meter size.
I am thinking about replace my cabrihna 11 meter convert with the Naish Ride.

What I am looking for is :
- quick turning radius and responsiveness on the kite
- low bar pressure
- load of power when sheeting in the bar and good de-power when sheeting out
- can I re-use the cabrihna bar for the Naish ?

of course stability and safety are also good things to have

Thanks and stay safe

ronf
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Any opinion on Naish Ride 12 meter kite

Post by ronf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am

I've been on Rides for a year, 8 and 10 meter.(weigh142pounds). Great kites. Low bar pressure,great low end, and easy. I cruise around and am now jumping alot better with these.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Great to hear fellow kiters who like this kite and provided feedback.
Thanks and keep the stoke alive

mas75
Joey
Joey

Post by mas75 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Ride is a great kite...ridden it in the bay area and Maui...the only time I was uncomfortable on a Ride (and this was on the 2014 8m but assume earlier years were the same) was on Maui in crazy high gusts...the canopy can collapse slightly due to the lack of struts..this will cause it to fall back a bit in the window. Again, unless you're planning to ride in high gusty winds on a regular basis (35 gusting +) then great kite...if you are, pick the Park instead.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 am

Ride is a great kite...ridden it in the bay area and Maui...the only time I was uncomfortable on a Ride (and this was on the 2014 8m but assume earlier years were the same) was on Maui in crazy high gusts...the canopy can collapse slightly due to the lack of struts..this will cause it to fall back a bit in the window. Again, unless you're planning to ride in high gusty winds on a regular basis (35 gusting +) then great kite...if you are, pick the Park instead.
mas75
Joey
Hey thanks Joey. From what I 've been gather , kites with less struts = fluffy in high wind (Naish strutless & Boardriding cloud maui reviews). I am not too concerned with high wind as I tend to come in when situation is getting out of hand (+35 or so, or when I am hanging on the bar with 2 fingers to depower LOL... )

How about responsiveness ? I am growing out of the Cabrihna convert because though it is a good kite with tons of depower/power & great stability, it is a slow kite.

Thanks
Alex

mas75
Joey
Joey

Post by mas75 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm

yea time to move on from Cabrihna (don't tell me it's yellow too? ;-))

Ride responsiveness is good...it's not a Torch, but turns quick...and with the the lack of struts and lightness has good low end if you're a bit underpowered...pre 2014 model has pulleys, 2014 has fixed bridal points, which gives a really great feel and kite position imo....but both ride (ha, no pun) really well.

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitewing » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 am

I just tried a friend's 12m Ride the last 2 weekends. I wouldn't say it's a quick-turning kite (high aspect) compared to something a little more C-shaped, but overall, it's a good kite, responsive, good low-end, low bar pressure. You can't go wrong if that's what you're thinking of getting.

IMHO the Naish bar is better than Cabrinha's, it's a much cleaner setup. But that's purely personal preference (I'm not a big fan of the whole IDS system...)
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3