Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident
Re: Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 pm

The CG personnel actually doing the Rescues may be OK with the Status Quo, but higher up the Command structure, the increase in rescues is raising notice. See the link to the CG letter from this Spring.
http://sfba.org/index.php/news-events/1 ... y-bulletin

SFBA message from there facebook page edited: https://www.facebook.com/#!/SFBA

We are disappointed to report that the number of Kiteboarders being rescued by the USCG at Crissy Field is on the rise. There are a lot of new Kiters venturing out, some without proper education and guidance about the local conditions, and requiring rescues that could be avoided.

We ask the local community to be proactive---step up to greet new Kiters and share your local knowledge. If anyone is in doubt - don't go out!

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to have an Eco1 (electric jetski) from Ecowatercraft available for kitesurfing rescues at crissy, for being proactive at minimizing coast guard rescues. No affiliation, just thinking it would be cool. I have one on my wish list for my transbay commute.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 am

Hello, please be extra careful on the crowded beaches and watching out for visiting sailors to Crissy and making them realize what they are about to do. The Coast Guard may one day not be readily available to respond as they may be some ware else involved in a who's knows what. Most likely this would be on the windier days.

Saturday the police were called by a family on the beach and a report was taken. This time it was a windsurfer who carried his rig off the water toward the parking lot and the beach was wall to wall sunbathers. Well the windsurfer somehow may have hurt a small child and the parents went nuts.

Lets not have it be a kite boarders gear next time. As we all know a kite and lines powered on the beach would be allot worse.

And if you see any people with stunt kits, please talk to them too as yesterday this guy had a three meter stunt foil kite and he was getting yarded and terrorized the beach and clobbered a sunbather, until a windsurfer shut him down.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Amen that bro.

Summer is in full swing and everybody and their grandma are out and about.
I 'd avoid all public beaches or be really cautious to go there during weekends

turbinedude
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by turbinedude » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 am

sflinux wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have an Eco1 (electric jetski) from Ecowatercraft available for kitesurfing rescues at crissy, for being proactive at minimizing coast guard rescues. No affiliation, just thinking it would be cool. I have one on my wish list for my transbay commute.
Why don't we suggest a recommended base fee donation to launch into the premium free wind at Crissy Field?
This could sponsor a small fleet of onsite EcowaterCraft Human Operated jetski charged by renewable energy.
$3 would be reasonable.
Works for yacht racers and raft boarders alike.
Another way to finance this could be to charge a base fee per rescue.
For people unwilling to pay for their rescue they can be dropped off back in the water where they can perform a self rescue or taken ashore to reunite with the gear somewhere East Bay or just be saved and have a awful rep.
Given the already vastly proven entrepreneurial and friendly nature of kiteboarders this would be easy to enforce.
This would also create a stable job for several people that would be saving people's lives awhile positively promoting kiteboarding.
:character-koolaid:

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:38 pm

This post is early this year. We usually see this on after the 4th of July weekend and it is usually about some blown out of proportion incident at Sherman. Just kite and have fun folks, don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm

pipedragon wrote:This post is early this year. We usually see this on after the 4th of July weekend and it is usually about some blown out of proportion incident at Sherman. Just kite and have fun folks, don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

Hello, are you sure you meant to post this about Crissy?

Kevship
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kevship » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am

The best ride I got at Crissy yesterday was on the flood down to last chance. I love it when the wind dies!! I have had the CG approach me over the years out there when shit hit the fan and both times I smiled and waived and swam in. Whats with people hitching rides when all thats necessary a lot of the time is head down and ass up?

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

I had originally posted some detailed significant events here that have occurred in the last few weeks, but have edited it all out.

I would like to post the information for others to learn from, but with the wide range of different personalities(no comprehension of there kite boarding abilities, or just insane, nutty), I feel it is better to approach people very formally in person.

The goal is for safety and reduced use of the Coast Guard.
Last edited by Tony Soprano on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Saw the Asian woman on the beach. That day had some really tricky conditions - I was only out for 45 minutes or so because I didn't want to end up swimming. She was having a reeeaal bad time untangling her mess of lines.

I'm surprised someone let her go out if she didn't even know how to launch. Hearing her talk when I was changing after my session she was definitely very inexperienced. Madness!