Ever caught in a death loop?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Ever caught in a death loop?

Post by jowall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 am

I once watched my bridle snap and cause the kite to start looping. I think I grabbed a handful of line and managed to crash the kite into the water and begin a self rescue. I was 3-4x anita rock near the channel and someone towed me in body dragging.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 am

One warning I read about death loops is the placement of your leash. If you get caught in a full-powered death loop in high winds, the force is so great it will submarine you and the water force is so great you may not be able to even bring your arm around to pull it. If your leash is connected to your harness handle, you may get turned around and dragged backwards, and then reaching behind you to pull the release may be impossible.

go4kitesurfing
Contributor
Contributor

Ever caught in a death loop?

Post by go4kitesurfing » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:36 pm

windstoked wrote:One warning I read about death loops ... If you get caught in a full-powered death loop in high winds, the force is so great it will submarine you and the water force is so great you may not be able to even bring your arm around ...
I experienced a LONG submarine adventure during my first week as a kiteboarder (2002 in Cabarete) when one of my steering lines got stuck on my harness after a crash and made the kite loop. The speed was surprisingly fast and I had no way of reaching anything. Nearly drowned before the kite crashed and I could come up for air. It then bounced off the water, kept looping, and I got another underwater ride but there was enough time to figure out what was wrong and find a way to make the kite crash again and that time keep it in the water. Not a fun experience!

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Here's a blog post by a woman pro on death loops she's encountered, and she particularly warns about the danger of resetting your safety system after an intentional or unintentional release while in high winds: http://lenebaxter.com/2012/06/18/safety ... eath-loop/