When to use suicide mode?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm starting to learn unhooked tricks and I'm wondering if I should be using suicide mode on my bar for easier relaunch after a crash. Is it only for pros that are doing huge tricks as the manual for the bar implies, or is it pretty standard for people to use when doing any unhooking to maximize time on the water (rather than taking all the time getting everything reset in the water).

Thanks!

Edit: to clarify, I'm using a North bar.
Last edited by Frappes on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: When to use suicide mode?

Post by recoprianto » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm

It is for anyone tht rides unhooked.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Suicide mode can be done a little differently from one bar to another.

Talk to someone with the same gear you are riding that is also unhooking...

Didn't see you were trying to unhook in your post so I had to edit accordingly.....

Reco would be a good resource for you...
Last edited by kitenaked on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 pm

It's the way to go cause sending it on the safety can be bad news ... I've had a safety line brake on my slingshot bar, it's a one line system and the bungee part snapped. Few things to note... Make sure you are running a bar that has a smart attachment, made for this shit. The older dd2 slingy bars aren't nearly as advanced as the compstick. I was doing surface passes the other day and on the pass grabbed the red knob release on the bar (riding suicide), this initiated the chicken loop releases therefore slipping off the Leash also and becoming completely unattached.. Luckily I held onto the knob and didn't lose the entire kite, said fuck it I'm riding on my safety. When i got off the water my boy G told me to leave the regular safety ring attached to the leash and then attach it to the chicken loop also... I felt kinda stupid at that point cause I think that's what everyone does. The compstick has the modified attachment to hook it up more clean... My friend also said I could hook it up directly to the power rope above the bar, actually makes a lot of sense. I've also seen the leash clips break on preople. You can hook up two leashes to help this, apparently there isn't really heavy duty leash clips available on industry kite leashes, just not mass produced.

Just take your time with it, you will learn your kite inside and out. Go Big!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 pm

when you are depressed and walking across the Golden Gate Bridge watching the kiters below.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

Definitely agree that it depends on the bar. With my bar (pre 2.0 Wainman bar), I clip in suicide all the time. I don't really like the mini 5th. So for safety when launching and landing, my leash is clipped directly to one of the front lines. But, when out on the water, I can't loop the kite if I'm clipped in this way, so I clip in suicide. On the Wainman 2.0 bar, I usually don't clip in suicide because the mini 5th runs through the plastic tubing the depower line is in and is nicer to use. Other bars will be different too...

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 am

Loscocco wrote:when you are depressed and walking across the Golden Gate Bridge watching the kiters below.
MJ0_ Bravo! MJ0_

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

Frappes wrote:
Loscocco wrote:when you are depressed and walking across the Golden Gate Bridge watching the kiters below.
MJ0_ Bravo! MJ0_

or.....

When you go to your orthopedist and he tells you that the broken bone in your hand that has bothered you for years will require surgery, a screw, and 3-6 MONTHS in a cast....

Throwing self of bridge now....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:09 am

sc-surfer wrote:
Frappes wrote:
MJ0_ Bravo! MJ0_

or.....

When you go to your orthopedist and he tells you that the broken bone in your hand that has bothered you for years will require surgery, a screw, and 3-6 MONTHS in a cast....

Throwing self of bridge now....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
All you need is a hook and a plastic bag, my friend!

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Frappes wrote: Edit: to clarify, I'm using a North bar.
Use the iron heart option. The 5th line has a metal ring on the end of it by the bar. Put your chicken loop through the big ring and reset it. Then hook your leash to the little metal ring that is attached to the big ring. All of the joys of riding suicide with none of the drawbacks. If you do pop your safety, the kite will still flag out on the 5th line, if you just drop your kite while unhooked, the kite depowers, falls to the water, and is easily relaunchable.