New to Bayareakiteboarding.com

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Roosterfish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roosterfish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello all,

Just wanted to make a quick introduction, since I'm sure I'll be running into some of you on the beach. I'm new to kiteboarding, have taken lessons and I'm just trying to soak in as much as I can. I'll mostly be kiting at Alameda for the time being, so if you see a tall, thin guy with a Neon Green Naish Park feel free to come say hi.

I'm already having a lot of fun with the sport, although it can be a bit intimidating. I was at Alameda yesterday and witnessed some really questionable piloting. It was very crowded and there were some close calls at the main launch by the shack.

That said, my #1 goal as I progress is safety for myself and everyone else around. I'll probably be asking for help a lot and annoying the heck out of everyone, but I figure that's better than the alternative. :)

Also wanted to say a quick thank you to a guy who helped me out at Alameda yesterday. Didn't catch your name, but you loaned me a screwdriver to fix a loose binding and gave me a relaunch. You're on a Naish 5 line (Torch I think?) and you lost your keys yesterday. (Hope you found those, by the way).

Anyways, thanks for going out of your way to help a beginner, especially when you were trying to leave and find your keys! People like you make me feel A LOT safer out there.

Cheers guys & gals and look forward to seeing you out there!

Charlie

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: New to Bayareakiteboarding.com

Post by WindMuch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Hey Charlie,

Welcome to the sport and the BAK forum. With friendly attitude, a safe outlook and stoke as your message implies, you'll find there are lots folks in the kiting community who will go out of their way to help you out. And soon, you'll be in the position to return the favor(s)!

See you on the beach,

Kirk out

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Welcome!!

Much better to annoy us with your questions than piss us off with ignorance! :-) :-)

Glad you are here and enjoy. The kite community is great!! Just see my post of a few min. ago. We ALL need a little help sometimes!

See you on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Welcome Charlie!! Glad you have caught the stoke.. its addictive! Have fun out there and be safe!!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Welcome to the sport!

You should feel comfortable asking question after question. Most of us are complete kite addicts and talking about kiting will never get old— and neither will educating a newcomer that is committed to safely learning the sport. I'd highly suggest getting in every possible session at Alameda and practice your self-rescue every time because you'll need to be ready for harder spots that blow more frequently if you want to get in many more sessions this season. Once you're comfortable on the board but going downwind, time for some Sherman island ASSISSTED downwinder (not a friendly location without support) or 3rd avenue with someone there to give you a tour and watch your back. At 3rd, it's highly likely that you'll need to use those bad-ass self-rescue skills you honed on the sandy Alameda beach.

Good luck and I'll say hi if I see you out there.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 pm

jwest21 wrote: Most of us are complete kite addicts.
I am not an addict, I can quit kiting anytime I want... gotta go looks like its getting windy out...

:P :P :P
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com