update on my noobishness

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor
update on my noobishness

Post by Jamo04AT » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:00 am

So I've been takin a 7 out to Alameda on the windiest of days to basically practice launching, landing, body dragging upwind etc, I haven't even brought a board with me yet. It works great because not too much risk with a 7 at Alameda, when I sheet in and dip in the power zone it will drag me but ill actually have time to think about releasing lol. I also have been practicing my self rescues everytime I'm done flying ill self rescue just cuz I wanna be comfy with it. I got a 2012 rebel and I'm Soooooo happy with the safety on this thing. It crashes perfectly every time on bail out, wrap that 5th line around my bar and I know it ain't going anywhere!

I've also been practicing relaunching belly up belly down every possible way. That to me is Soooooo helpful, kinda scary when it launches in power zone, still trying to walk it over to the edge before actually launching (all advice welcome lol)

So far what I've noticed with fellow noobs is they bring the whole setup, board n all, and they can't even fly the kite barely and end up losing the board, I wanna be a body draggin kite flying fool before I even use a board Haha ! Besides I wakeskate every weekend so the board aspect is nothing new to me, but if you asked me 6 months ago to fly a kite it would be a joke. This sport is insane (obviously) but its also crazy in the fact that everyone is so nice and willing to help, a lot of the other stuff I do is quite the opposite lol

Thanks again everyone for great info, I love this sport! I am involved in so many other sports it will take me forever to learn this, but that's all part of the fun :)

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: update on my noobishness

Post by cliftoncutshall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:23 am

Well done sir! It would be nice if everyone new took the time to learn basic kite skills and safety. Your humility will serve you well. =*

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 am

Great job deciding to separate the kite and board, it makes everything so much easier to manage. Sounds like you got the right idea and are well on your way to being an informed, capable member of the community. I haven't done more than a handful of self-rescues since I started so it's important to get it down when you're learning, and what better place than downwind at Alameda.

Keep at it!

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: update on my noobishness

Post by MehYam » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm

=- Awesome attitude, have fun out there!