Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Great post, Rey.
The weak point you indicated in your kite is the same area I see more in 3-strut kites than 5-struts, especially when boosting.
The pressure situation with your bladder is a challenge. Because the tension on the wall equals the pressure times the radius (LaPlace's Law), you can't put as much pressure in a kite with a fatter leading edge. However, a fatter leading edge gives more support, so there's a trade-off. Perhaps making the leading edge fatter at the weak points, but keeping it the same elsewhere would help.
How about reinforcing the leading edge at the weak points with a baton like in a sail? It would add minimal weight, although it would make storage less optimal.
And drifts like an inner city teenager in a mini car....
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It has been awhile since I posted something here, finally caught up with work and now back to kiting.
Finally found some time working on this thing. Turned out to be two simple fixes: First, I pulled out the bladder and trimmed it down to a 6 inch diameter. Too much plastic to make the bladder rigid. Second fix was adding an inch on the bridal. The pulley was wedging itself on the connecting points.
I now have a working prototype. I will start working on a bigger version for this season.
Cool project Rey. It would be cool if you could post a gopro helmet/hat cam of the prototype flying.
Hard to give advice without seeing the kite fly... but looking at your bridle, I can see the front bridle putting a heavy load on the shoulder with that V bridle in hard turns. You may want to try a RPM style bridle to support the leading edge better. May want to try your stock bridle without a pulley too (just larkshead a pigtail on your V bridle), to see the difference.
Good observations, that is what is causing the initial issues. Increasing the lengths a bit distribute the pressure across the bridal points. I am trying to build a really simple short bridle system, trying to avoid long and complicated bridles that causes tangles.
When I was a regular at Scott Creek, I always had to deal with tangled bridles when I ride my slingshot bridled kites whenever I crash on the surf. Of course the solution was to not crash the kites on the surf, but I'm just an average rider.
I got frustrated with the bridles so I switched back to C kites and the Caution mayhem kites.
I will try your recommendations and change the bridles and play with its characteristics. Currently I like the way it flies, hovers a little bit, so its perfect for my riding style.
Anyway, as promised here are a few files if people are interested:
This is the project file for the strutless design, can be opened with surfplan. Unzip it and open with surfplan
PDF version with 2 struts, older version, but exactly the same cut but includes two supporting struts.
Users browsing this forum: le noun and 5 guests