Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Should Sherman Be Upgraded?

Post by windstoked » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 pm

etxxz wrote:just because you were there this weekend and freaked out doesnt mean the place needs to be expanded.
I wasn't specifically addressing the crowds at Sherman, I was addressing a site that breaks all the rules of an ideal launch. My concern is that if it isn't improved, it could lead to closure to kiters. It's a dangerous launch, even if only a dozen kiters are there.
Keeping it dangerous to try to discourage beginners from crowding it up seems misguided.
I could make it way safer in a few weekends with a chainsaw, bushhog, roundup and used carpeting if they'd let me. Open up the shoreline going up the left from the launch cove so there would be a side-shore launch, clear a couple acres of brush adjoining that for rigging/kite launch, and cover the bank with carpet to prevent erosion and make ingress/egress safer. Close the current launch cove to swimmers/fishermen, and you'd have a site that fit the ideal launch guidelines.

Sandman_510
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandman_510 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Good discussion.
If you are unhappy with your launch, take action:
1) model the behavior you'd like to see. Roll up your lines immediately, don't jump nr launch, consider safety of others (kiters and bystanders) even when you're jonesing to get out quickly, etc. Be the role model that newbies will follow
2) help enforce community standards: let people know that they are behaving badly, dangerous launching,etc.. Go up and talk to offenders and let them know what proper etiquette is. Yell/scream when safety is at stake.
3) align yourself with like-minded folk. Join and participate in the SFBA (http://www.sfba.org/), SurfRider (http://www.surfrider.org/), SaveTheBay (http://www.savesfbay.org/) or other local interest group and help influence "official policy"

If all else fails, buy a boat or your own private island and have your own personal launch area, where you are king :)

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 pm

In the 10yrs I've kited, Sherman Island has changed rather drastically. Signs and an in/out rotation, carpets, large launch areas, etc...

People need to realize that Sherman Island is an expert kiting location. Don't kite here until you are ready. It took me 3 seasons before I launched at sherman and 1 more before I launched by the picnic table regularly. Very few people used to launch by the picnic table back in the day, now everyone does.

Its simple, don't be an asshole. Clean up after yourself. Stack your kite. don't come into the launch area until clear.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:07 pm

ramsey wrote:Its simple, don't be an asshole.
Oh how most of the worlds problems could be solved if this advice was heeded :mrgreen:
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:31 pm

+1

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:03 pm

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Stack your kite
I love it when you see a stack of kites protruding all the way out into the launch area. Kite stacking should = keeping the launch clear, not = orderly clusterfunk.

+1 for what Ramsey said.....there have been lots of improvements over the years and will continue to be with the input of concerned citizens. I'd much rather keep it the way it is.

If you do get some mitigation funds to work with, I think you might be ahead to create other new launch areas that currently don't exist rather than mucking with one that works just fine if people just keep their heads on straight and clean up after themselves. Ain't no way you're ever going to convert Sherman to a sideshore launch, and it's never going to be put off-limits for other water users. And you're never going to idiot proof it so that it's totally safe for beginners.

Which is ok. I've heard Pittsburg is putting in a new launch near the Marina, but I don't think that one will be for beginners either.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Why not upgraded little Baja to be beginner friendly. Then no one gets upset at more kiters in the area.

Only downside is no downwind rescue.

Other than that I'd say leave it as is unless you can get a shower put in.

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Milk jug+hot water= shower

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 pm

windstoked wrote: I could make it way safer in a few weekends with a chainsaw, bushhog, roundup and used carpeting if they'd let me. Open up the shoreline going up the left from the launch cove so there would be a side-shore launch, clear a couple acres of brush adjoining that for rigging/kite launch, and cover the bank with carpet to prevent erosion and make ingress/egress safer. Close the current launch cove to swimmers/fishermen, and you'd have a site that fit the ideal launch guidelines.

There are people that work hard to have what we do. remember any thing you do will not last the winter or north wind and you cannot close a beach to swimmers or fisherman it was a fishing park way before kiting was invented JQI*
Attachments
04-01-09_1247.jpg
04-01-09_1247.jpg (61.53KiB)Viewed 8263 times
Last edited by sloughslut on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils